Touch In DFU Mode, Yet Can't Restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nemes, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Nemes

Nemes New Member

I'm just about at my wit's end with this thing, and after reading all of the great threads about recovery mode I still can't resolve my problem.

A week ago my 1.1.3 jailbroken iPod spontaneously ended up in black-screen DFU mode overnight, but with some twiddling I was able to bring it back to life. It has since gone back in to DFU mode, and I am unable to get it out, which I'm fine with since I decided I may as well restore to 1.1.4 and jailbreak with ZiPhone instead.

The problem is that the restore function isn't working, I'm stuck in restore mode. If I try to restore, no matter the firmware version the iPod is hanging on the Apple logo. In more detail, when the iPod is prepared for a restore it quickly goes from a black screen to a white screen, at which point it quickly disconnects from the computer and reconnects in iBoot mode. This is followed by switching to the Apple logo, where the iPod disconnects again and never reconnects, with the restore ultimately timing out (I'm assuming it's trying to reconnect in DFU mode again?). At this point the iPod is stuck, and the only way to get anything done with it is power + home to reset the thing, putting me back in black-screen DFU mode.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before, or knows what to do about it? It's not as if I can't get back in to DFU mode, it's that the actual restore procedure is failing and I'm out of tricks to try. What do you do when your iPod is apparently locking up in recovery mode?
  2. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I see that you've put it in dfu, but what about just plain recovery mode?
  3. Nemes

Nemes New Member

I couldn't get it in to plain recovery mode if I wanted to.
  4. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Use the video in my signature... if you need to get out of DFU mode, use ZiPhone... Normal boot under Advanced Settings.
  5. Nemes

Nemes New Member

For whatever reason it has been a little more willing today, and I somehow got it to restore to 1.1.4. However that hasn't really resolved my problem, whenever it resets or powers down, it falls back in to DFU mode on reboot. Basically I can't do anything with it, because it'll always fall back in to DFU mode and I need to restore it to get it back out.

I'm thinking it's time to send it to Apple.
  6. PAEz

PAEz New Member

Just thought Id point out that ZiPhone can not make the iTouch boot to normal out of DFU mode.....well that what it says anywayz.....

Enter Normal Mode: If the phone is in recovery mode (shows a picture of the iTunes icon and a cable), use this button to boot it in normal mode (does not work if phone is in DFU Mode).

Enter DFU Mode: Before you restore in iTunes it's recommended that you set your phone in this mode.

WARNING: After the phone is set to DFU mode you will not be able to boot it before you have restored in iTunes!

I tried upgrading to 1.1.4 so I could jailbreak and it aint working...Im stuck in DFU and when I try to restore to 1.1.4 I keep getting Unknown error 1.....great.....so now i seem to be stuck in DFU