Touch function broken at bottom area of Ipod Touch, help needed!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pmajin, Mar 16, 2008.

1. pmajin

pmajin New Member

Hi. i'm sure im one of the few out there, but here's what happened to my ipod.
    3 weeks ago, it went through a FULL laundry wash cycle. today, it turned back on. Everything seems to be normal; wi fi works, sync works, everything!... until i noticed that the very bottom area of my touch screen doesn't respond to any touch input... that area, affects stuff like, the volume bar, when i'm listening to music, or worst, the space bar, 123 button, Search/Go button, .com button, etc. anything at that bottom area, i can't use. in Safari, i can still manage; just gotta flip my ipod horizontal. HOWEVER, in INSTALLER, i need to add new repositories. i can't do it, because i can't hit the .com to ... add repositories with .com's in them... So, is there any possible way, to edit the installer.app's repository listing, MANUALLY, by SSH/SFTP into my iPod manually, retrieving the .plist file (or equivalent), and adding it manaully from there? i tried manuevering around inside, fund a TrustedSources.plist, added on a <string>*some source*</string>, and after that, my installer crashed upon start, so i had to force restore. I'm currently on a 1.1.4 jailbroken via ZiPhone method 8GB iPod Touch.

... oh, and i can't use BossTools to relocate my apps either, because even though the option is there for me to press... it's at the bottom of the screen, so... i can't press it =P... so i need to relocate my applications manually, which I think i can probably do, I've got the commands for SSH to do that (which i will try shortly).

Got clues anyone?
    ... and on a somewhat related note, I'm considering sending in my iPod to Apple to hopefully get a replacement because my touch function is broken at the bottom.... however, since it hit water before, my water indicator HAS turned half red.... so any thoughts on whether Apple will take my iPod and replace it or not? or will they deny it because they will say it was 'water damage' that caused the touch to break? I mean, if they say that... I could say "it was just rain water", but hell, would Apple really give a damn? haha I think not.

Sorry for the long post... but this is somewhat of a unique problem...
    Thanks in advance for ANY help!
  2. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Honestly? Restore your iPod and send it back in for a new one. It'll be well worth it. Back up your /applications folder first so you can put ally our apps on your new iPod
  3. VViper

VViper New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Unfortunatley there is a small piece of paper (litmus i think?) thats at the end of the headphone jack. When it gets wet it goes orange. This is so Apple can tell if you dropped it in the water or put it through the wash as they would be your fault. However there are ways of tricking the paper back to its original colour. Search the forum. Its on here somewhere, something to do with putting an (acidic?) liquid on it to change it back or something along those lines.
  4. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I forget the location, but I'm positive you can manually add sources through ssh. I'll check and post back in a sec.

Edit: var/root/library/installer/packagesources.plist

Its a little complicated, but its possible.
  5. pmajin

pmajin New Member

Thanks for the quick responses, I'm gonna search around a bit for some more clues before attempting to add my own source;

something I would like to know:
    if I'm adding the source manually, what "category" does... the ipodtouchmaster's source fall under?
    anyone kind enough to send/pm me the .plist file for me from THEIR ipod, one that already has ipodtouchmaster's listing on it? I need the iPhone apps, his repo is one of the few that have it...

Still need to look a bit to see which other sources I need, but BigBoss' Sources seems pretty good... can anyone suggest me any that isn't in BIgBoss'? i need that SummerBoard fix as well... along with wiggle and whatnot.

also... i kind of forgot the SSH command to log in to my ipod... was it ssh root@ipaddress?
  6. Medicc

Medicc New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Egad! I'm having similar problem too, but it only happens when I'm on the springboard with a different theme other than Default. I know, sounds strange and retarded, but it happens. Like I put any theme at all and I try to click any of the bottom icons (Dock) and I can't unless I just tap it like 30 times and then it opens. With default it doesn't happen.. :S My iPod is just hating on me maybe lol

Oh and mine went through the washer too, I left it drying for like 3 weeks and it worked again

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Flagpole

Flagpole Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah ive heard stories of people using bleach or something else (not sure, search) to change the color of the water damage indicator back to the original color. just put the mystery liquid on a q-tip and stick it in the headphone jack i think. like i said before, im not 100% sure what the liquid is but if you search im sure you'll find it.