Touch "Forgets" two different wireless networks

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BumOnThePlush, Nov 7, 2008.

1. BumOnThePlush

BumOnThePlush New Member

I have the second gen touch. I have two wireless networks that I use all the time. One has no encryption, and one uses WPA2. For some reason, the touch will randomly "forget" the networks. They are fully functional, but they won't work unless i re-enter the network and key.
    Both these networks don't show up, and I have to use "other" to config them, but still, it shouldn't just keep losing this info. This could happen several times a day, or less.

I've been looking high and low but haven't seen similar reports. Its driving me nuts!

Anyone with similar experience or thoughts? At a minimum, I'd like a wireless app that would allow me to save profiles so I can stop re-entering the damn information.

(I have a home access point that is also doesn't show up, but that one never gets lost.. these other two are in close proximity, but they are not the same nets)
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Do you have a passcode on it? This has happened with people who have a passcode and then have to reset manually.

If that's not the case go to Settings and Reset All Settings
  3. BumOnThePlush

BumOnThePlush New Member

No, I don't use a passcode to unlock the device.
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Try and do the Settings reset and let me know what happens.
  5. bklynsoulja

bklynsoulja New Member

this is actually happening to me sadly i hope there a solution
  6. BumOnThePlush

BumOnThePlush New Member

I did a reset: Reset network settings. This did not solve the problem. I was using network A. Then I roamed over and was using network B for much of the afternoon. WHen I returned back to network A coverage, i got no signal indicator showing a network. I finally stayed in that spot and re-entered the network info and it worked again.
  7. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Well I guess you'll have to restore through iTunes.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. BumOnThePlush

BumOnThePlush New Member

Restore what?
  9. JAD

JAD New Member

I alternate all day between two totally different networks as well. On one I use mac address identification and reservation for a specified IP and on the other the same thing plus WPA-psk. Both networks are set up to allow the IP through the firewalls.

Have you got your iPod set to a static IP in its settings, by any chance? I found if I have a reserved address on the router AND set a static IP on the iPod (the same one, of course) you have to reboot the 2G with the wifi turned on to get it to connect if you've turned the iPod off with the wifi off in between. The work around to that is not to do a total shut down of the iPod unless you have the wifi turned on when you do. Or else don't put the static IP in the iPod, just let the router/server assign it.

If you have a reserved address on the router/server and just leave the router to do DHCP and assign the IP to the iPod, it's fine or at most requires a flick of the on/off of the wifi in the settings screen.

The 1G works fine with a static IP in the iPod settings and reservation on the router and DHCP turned OFF on the router. (which I was doing to our home network to maximise security but which in retrospect was probably overkill) In fact, the 1G's wifi is rock solid in any situation I've tried. The 2G is far, far finickier and the only unit on the home LAN that doesn't like my former network settings.

There are lots of reports of flakey WPA behaviour. Another thing to try is perhaps making your password shorter. There was a report I read about passwords longer than so many characters not working; it may have been 15. I know 13 works, that's the length of mine.

Also, when you "choose" the network, are you pressing the area in the middle of the network name? It's easy to touch the blue arrow (on the right side) thinking that's the way to connect, when in actual fact that's how to view the settings.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Try "forgetting" the networks, putting your settings back in. Then next time, press the network name in the middle to select it, then flick the wifi on/off switch a couple times (pausing between each) to get the connected icon in the upper left.

Most of us (from what I read anyway) have to do the flick/flick on/off thing with WPA on the 2G. Personally, I'm hoping for a fix in the next firmware and I'm also hoping they give us a one-touch on/off icon for the wifi like the jailbroke ones have. That's the most useful little thing!
  10. BumOnThePlush

BumOnThePlush New Member

I THINK v2.2 has solved many of these problems. Have had a trouble free day thus far and have not had to re-enter the networks. Also, it seems to move between networks better, and will even pick them up while in 3rd party apps. In the past I had to exit the app and re-enter it for the network to show up in the top left.