Touch Fast Battery Drain - Sometimes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DreamKiller, Feb 20, 2010.

1. DreamKiller

DreamKiller New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This has been driving me crazy for some time now. For the last month or two I have had what seemed to be random times when the battery in my 1G Touch 16GB would suddenly drain in just an hour or two of listening to music from a full charge. I have WiFi and all the other usual suspects turned off when this happens. One time I went to bed listening to music only to turn over to feel it hot to the touch and less then 20% battery in less than an hour.

After trying dozens of combinations I have found a pattern that can be repeated.

If I turn off WiFi (along with all the other usual battery saving tips) then turn my touch off to reboot it, I can then turn it back on and if I ONLY go into the music player, it will play music for almost 22 hours (right at spec so I do not believe I have a bad battery).

But if I turn on the WiFi, do some Web surfing, check email, watch a YouTube video, etc. for a few minutes, then turn those off AND turn the WiFi back off and then go into the music player (without rebooting), the battery will always drain very fast and be dead within 1 - 3 hours from a full charge. Sometimes it gets warm, other times not so much but in this case the battery lasts a little bit longer.

As long as I reboot I can always get good battery life playing music, but in general it seems if I use the WiFi it always goes into this high drain mode that I can not get out of until I reboot. This seemed to start happening with the 3.1.2 release. But I even tried down-grading back to 3.0 and it still does the same thing, but I know for sure that it didn't use to do this when 3.0 first came out. Also I thought it might be an app or some weird config setting, so I restored to factory setup condition, no apps, no backup restore (new ipod setup) and just a few songs to test with and it still does the same thing for all ver 3 firmware (3.0, 3.1.1, 3.1.2 & 3.1.3)

What could have changed? Maybe a hardware issue in the WiFi area? But everything seems to work OK and the WiFi link and speed is OK. Any ideas or help appreciated. Now that I know what is happening I can kind of live with it, but I want to figure this out!

Thanks for slogging through the long post.
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    try a charge cycle, charge to 100, drain to 0, and then to 100, im doing this right now because of my batter draining during sleep.
  3. DreamKiller

DreamKiller New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the response - but I have already done this several times and in my many tests to see how long the battery would last in different operating scenarios. Will probably eat up the 400 charge cycle life before I figure this out! In my situation I am not having any battery drain issues when the touch is sleeping. Only during and after using WiFi.
  4. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    What I do when this sorta thing happens to me, I have an iPhone btw, is go into Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. This won't erase the media, but obviously the settings. The phone works normally for a while until it randomly happens again.
  5. DreamKiller

DreamKiller New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Problem Fixed!

Wouldn't doing a restore in itunes, and then setting up as a new ipod accomplish the same thing? I didn't restore from a previous backup, just used the as is 'factory' settings. Nor did I auto-sync any music, apps or any other info; I set this all to manual so they would not contaminate the ipod either. Then all I did was add a few songs so I had something to test with, entered my WiFi connection and changed the usual battery saving settings like brightness to 25%, push/fetch off, autolock to 1 minute, etc.

The problem occurs the first time I try the previously stated test conditions after a 'clean' restore and is completely repeatable with all OS 3 versions.

I will give this a try to leave no stone unturned though, thanks for the reply.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Apple Guy - I would not have believed it unless I saw it. Doing as you suggested (Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings) has cleared my problem up! I am floored however that a full clean restore to factory conditions followed by setting it up as a new ipod (not restoring to a backup) does not accomplish the same thing. Wow - that just seems....wrong. Anyway, thanks a bunch. And to all having strange problems, try Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings first, it may just fix you up!

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    DreamKiller-
    First off, I too have a 1st Gen 16Gb iPod. I hadn't noticed/tested the pattern, but I have noticed the same behavior. Sometimes 2 or more hours of use and the batter shows a full charge. other times, it's drops as quickly as 5% a minute. I have SBSettings, and this drain happens with screen at lowest setting, WiFi/SSH off, and no apps running in Processes. I read books using Stanza, and i KNOW Stanza does not use a lot of juice, yet reading a book I have drained a fully charged battery in an hour. Yes, I have done a full discharge cycle more than once. Tested your way and rebooting does make a huge difference. i will try the above mentioned fix and see if it works, but wanted to comment that you aren't alone with this issue, and thanks for the info AppleGuy.
  7. DreamKiller

DreamKiller New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. However the resetting only seems to work for a little while. After a few days of use it seems to fall back into the same battery eating mode. Resetting again clears the problem, but it will eventually return to its bad ways. So I have kind of gotten use to just rebooting when I only want to listen to music. I have spent so much time trying to figure this out, I am a little burned out on it and resigned to live with it until someone can find a permanent fix.

Note of warning, I too have it jailbroken and the reset causes havoc with Categories and CategoriesSB. All apps in folders disappear. I found a way to get them back without a restore, but it is a pain in the ass.

So for now I am just waiting and watching for others to figure this out. Good luck!
  8. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This didn't cause any issues with SB Settings, and I don't use categories. BUT.....I didn't realize this would reset my springboard and rearrange everything alphabetically... that totally sucked. So far I do see an improvement tho. So is this a 3.0 general issue, or does the fact of being jailbroken trigger it?
  9. DreamKiller

DreamKiller New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I found it to be a general 3.X.X problem (the battery eating problem that is). It occurs on mine whether jailbroken or not. Thing is it did not do this for months on 3.0 and now does it all the time. I wonder if an app (or app update) triggers it, but I have so many I don't have the time to delete and retry them one by one to find it.

Reset does jack with springboard and categories, that's why I don't do it very often.