Touch cant find server

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ckylesworld, Sep 28, 2007.

1. ckylesworld

ckylesworld New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, I have wireless at home that is password protected. It asked me the password for my network I put it in and I was in business. I took the touch to work where we have wireless also that ISNT password protedted. I go to settings>wifi>our network to connect. It displays a ip address, then I go to safari and it says cant find server!!! what does this mean and is there a setting I need to change or what??
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    First of this should be in the tech help section. Secondly does your job filter wireless deviced according to MAC address. Cause i know at home if you look at my wireless you wont see it being password protected, it will let you connect but not surf. This is cause it has a MAC filter. Only allows devices with a MAC address that is on the list. If so just pull up your iPoT's MAC (found in settings/general/about) and have then add it to the list at your job. If thats not how how your job does its network, it would consult your network support department.
  3. ckylesworld

ckylesworld New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I checked and our wireless is unencripted and has no mac filters. This dosent make sense, it is straight out wifi and it cant connect. I do not understand why if it will at home, why wont it here?
  4. cadair

cadair New Member

Tech Specs for the touch.....
    Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
    Maybe work is using 802.11a ? Just a thought.
  5. ckylesworld

ckylesworld New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks, but its a 802.11g. Also when my office shows up in the list of available wifi connections, I click on it to choose it then go back and it shows it connected. But when you go to safari it says cannot find server!
  6. lifeinacoustic

lifeinacoustic New Member

I set up a AD-HOC through my laptop and my job's internet uses a proxy server. I just had to tell it to use the proxy server....all better
  7. ckylesworld

ckylesworld New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How do I do that on the ipod touch?
  8. lifeinacoustic

Go into Settings > Wi-Fi > Choose your network by clicking the blue arrow on the right hand side > scroll to the bottom > and under HTTP Proxy, set that to Manual or Auto and insert your Proxy settings.
  9. ckylesworld

ckylesworld New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    From what I have been told, we have no proxy settings. It is just a pure unencripted wifi signal. Pretty much anyone could pull up outside and use it.
  10. lifeinacoustic

hmm, if you can't get that to work...if you have a laptop, just setup an adhoc connection through your laptop's wireless.