Touch as a remote control for a PC?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 4dthinker, Nov 23, 2007.

1. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

There is at least one company out there selling software to allow an iPhone or iTouch to gain remote desktop control of a PC. I'm looking for a way to do this with my Touch, essentially to control my Home Theater PC. Tversity and similar apps are an easy way to gain ACCESS to shared files on a PC, but I actually want to be able to actually see my PC's desktop on the Touch screen, and be able to use my finger as a mouse to wirelessly control the PC as if it was a keyboard and mouse and monitor plugged directly into it.

Anyone already doing this? Or does anyone know of a free trial or shareware app to allow this?

I find I've already got my Touch with me when watching TV, and since I can watch TV using the Vista PC attached, the Touch seems like the perfect place for controlling it from.

4D
  2. schnikelfritz576

schnikelfritz576 New Member

i dont know how but you could probably figure it out
    theres an app called VNSea and you can use TightVNC or other things like it to control your desktop on ur ipod
    dont ask me how to do it cause i couldn't get it to work but alot of other people did
  3. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Thanks, schnik. I've read as much as I can find about VNSEA, but haven't found anyone using it to control a PC. If it's an app you have to install on a jailbroken Touch then it is not the best solution )IMO). I'd like to have something that works like Tversity, using Safari, that gains access with an IP address. The commercial application requires that you log into thier web site, and I don't like that access/route. Of course it would allow access from anywhere away from home you had networking, but I don't need that.

Anyone else?
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm using VNsea to remotely control my three computers - Mac, Ubuntu & Windows XP. Works fine on all of them. On Windows I'm using UltraVNC, on Mac I'm using Vine Server, and on Ubuntu I'm just using the built-in Remote Desktop. Gives me full access to move around and control anything on the computer - open document, open applications, read emails, even send IMs.

To use it externally (meaning when I'm away from home), I had to open up a few ports in my firewall specifically for each computer, but it works fine.
  5. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Is VNsea an APP you have to install on your Touch? If so, my 1.1.2 Touch is not jailbroken and I don't want to jailbreak it for the moment. I'd like to "solve" this challenge just using safari as the app.
    Whatever I use will have to work with Vista Home Premium. Microsoft claims Remote Desktop isn't included and I believe them. Is UltraVNC Vista-ready?
  6. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yup - VNsea is an app which requires a jailbreak.

If you want to avoid a jailbreak, you can try the WebVNC that was developed for just this purpose (although it is a little buggy) - see here - http://cre.ations.net/creation/webvnc---remote-desktop--vnc-on-your-iphone

No clue if it works in Vista. Same with UltraVNC - I think it works, but darned if I'm going to waste my time debugging Microsoft operating system for 'em.
  7. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Thanks, Derek. Before I read your post I'd already found winVNC. I've tried it on my VISTA Home Premium PC and it does work. I simply use safari on the touch, enter my PC's IP address + a port number. The Touch is prompted for a password (you set when you run winVNC) and once entered you can select any window or the whole desktop to view and control from the Touch's screen.

Mouse clicking/doubleclick/right click/left click/etc., is cludgy. All you've got on the Touch is a simple tap, as any swipe is interpretted by Safari as a PAN request. There needs to be a multi-touch way to emulate right/left clicking and dragging of items on the remote Vista screen. As it is, each "tap" pops up a graphic of mouse click choices you have to select from from with another tap. That graphic can be partly off the screen, or very tiny depending on how much you've zoomed in on the desktop.

4D
  8. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, thing is VNsea (the iPod Touch based application that you don't want to install) DOES give you all those features. It lets you do double-click, right-click, and give you a pop up keyboard. Two fingers drags pan the screen, while one finger drags select areas. Pinch & expand work to allow you to zoom in an out. I've actually sat in my backyard and remotely been sending IMs through my work PC without anyone realizing I wasn't sitting right there...

There's more info on VNsea here - http://code.google.com/p/vnsea/

There are limitations to what you can do through a web browser without Java or Flash...
  9. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

I understand perfectly. I will jailbreak my Touch again if I have to, but the longer I look the more options I discover. Patience is something I do have. I'm very much looking forward to the next update, hopefully after Apple has released their development kit and the iPhone/iTouch can add applications natively without being hacked.
  10. spraggih

spraggih New Member

Made a mistake - posted on the wrong thread.