touch and apps like Davis Drug Guide

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by r4man2, Sep 29, 2007.

1. r4man2

r4man2 New Member

My daughter needs a PDA for her nursing classes. Rather that buy a Palm she would like a TOUCH. The online company that sells the program states that their program will run on an iPhone, so I wonder, will their program run a Touch?

Is anyone familiar enough to tell us if it would work? Thanks
  2. hamchoba

hamchoba New Member

R4man2,
    The Touch will work to access online databases like Davis Drug Guide or UpToDate. However, your daughter will need to be in an area in the hospital/school adequately covered by a wireless network she has access to, else it's impossible. There is no way to install Davis or any other similar Palm software on the touch as the software is completely different. Franky, using the Touch to navigate quickly through web pages to get to information is somewhat unwieldy and she may find herself accessing data a lot slower than her peers despite looking cooler, heh.
  3. lolmaster

lolmaster New Member

get an ebook, convert the Pages into JPEG then put into iPod

done
  4. hamchoba

hamchoba New Member

This actually doesn't work as well as you would think. Try converting 887 pages of a text book to jpeg and syncing all of them to the Touch, which invariably downsamples the images. Unless it's a children's book you're syncing, you'll at worst be left with unreadable pages. Furthermore, using iTunes alone, you can only have one album at a time which prevents from organizing different works. Nintendodude has also already tried this and has unfortunately reported less than stellar results too. Furthermore, Davis Drug Guide doesn't come in an ebook version even though I wish it did. The database of medications and dosages is continually being updated anyway. Not all ebooks were designed for reading on a portable device-- case in point: textbooks.

Because the issue of converting a PDF to an image gets brought up too casually without much concern for readability, here's a challenge for all of you:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0803614543/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-0625733-1505535#reader-link
    Above is a link to Amazon's sample of Davis's Drug Guide Hardcover. Take one of the index pages, screen capture it, sync it to your Touch, and try to read it. Don't take my word for it, you be the judge.

Another challenge:
    http://www.census.gov/population/www/censusdata/90pubs/decenial.html
    Take any document on this page. Try to do 2 things: (1) split all pages into JPEGs and sync them with your device. (2) Try to read any of the pages.

I think r4man2 had a legitimately serious question, and I would caution against offering solutions which have only marginal utility without confirming they work in a variety of scenarios. Eventually, r4man2's daughter will be caring for a real person and if she interprets a drug or a dosage incorrectly, that could be really bad.
  5. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

damn, the IQ level of this thread is soaring above the rest. welcome to the forums r4man2, it is un-fortunate that you may need to purchase a PDA or Palm instead of the Touch. may i recomend the Palm T|X. it is similar to the ipod touch in screen resoloution, identical in fact, and has WiFi and bluetooth. many online stores have it for about 250$
  6. lolmaster

lolmaster New Member

i see

i f'ed up
  7. hamchoba

hamchoba New Member

Sorry, didn't mean to come off too strongly. Yeah, doesn't work.
  8. lolmaster

lolmaster New Member

its ok

just trying to help

of course dont screw with peoples lives...

by giving them pancakes instead of medication

(pops a bunch of small pancakes into mouth)
  9. hourog

hourog New Member

Another reason to purchase a Palm is that the IT dept. at your daughter's nursing school may be better equipped to deal with support issues that arise concerning the Palm.
  10. Pixeltoy

Pixeltoy New Member

It would be sweet as if my Touch could run my dB from my Zire 72. (HandBase 3)