touch 2nd gen jailbreak problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by frnzn, May 7, 2009.

1. frnzn

frnzn New Member

I jailbreaked my ipod touch 2nd gen a while ago. I used directions from a youtube video, which I can't find anymore.

I used the following programs:
    XPwn-0.5.7-win32C
    iRecovery.

I followed these directions (README FILE):

1.) Save (or move) the 2.2.1 IPSW into the XPwn folder.

2.) Open up a Command Prompt (type cmd in the Search bar if on Vista).

3.) Type the following:

cd C:\Users\yourusername\Desktop\XPwn-0.5.7-win32\
    ipsw "iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Restore.ipsw" "iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Custom_Restore.ipsw" -s 700 bundles\Cydia.tar

If you wish to include Installer.app, your syntax will be different.
    Please be sure you have the Installer tarball in your bundles folder; if you do not have this, it is explained above.
    However, your syntax would be:

cd C:\Users\yourusername\Desktop\XPwn-0.5.7-win32\
    ipsw "iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Restore.ipsw" "iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Custom_Restore.ipsw" -s 700 bundles\Cydia.tar bundles\Installer.tar

If you're running XP, your location will be a bit different (should be C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Desktop\).

Also, if you're running XP (with PowerToys), Vista, or 7, you can easily navigate to folders in a Command Prompt without using cd.
    Simply hold shift, then right click on a folder (here, for example, you'd shift and right click on XPwn-0.5.7-win32), then select Open Command Window here.
    This can be done with any other part of this tutorial that involves cd. Thanks, MatthewH12!

4.) Wait for XPwn to finish, it should only take a few minutes.

5.) Extract all files in the iRecovery RAR to your Desktop and open the iRecovery folder, there should be an installer for libusb located here.
    If you haven't already installed libusb, please do so now.
    If you're running Vista or 7, please right click the .exe and select Properties, then click the Compatibility tab, then select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop-down menu.
    After install, a restart may be required.

6.) Open another Command Prompt (or use the one you used before, if it is still up) and type the following:

cd C:\Users\yourusername\Desktop\iRecovery\iRecovery_SVN

Again, your location will be different if you're on XP, see above.

7.) Put your iPod into DFU mode.
    If you're unfamiliar with DFU mode, you can put your iPod into it by holding the power button, then sliding to power off.
    Hold both the home and power buttons for 10 seconds (count in your head, it should be fine if you're off by a few seconds).
    After 10 seconds, release the power button and continue holding the home button for 15-25 seconds.
    Your screen shouldn't turn on, but your device should be recognized by iTunes as being in recovery mode.
    If at any point Windows claims that the device is unrecognized, be very exact with your timing and you should be able to enter DFU mode.

Bring up your Command Prompt again and execute the following:

iRecovery -f iBSS211.dfu

Your iPod's screen should turn white.
    If it doesn't, unplug your iPod and wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in.

8.) In the same Command Prompt, enter the following:

iRecovery -s
    arm7_stop
    mw 0x9000000 0xe59f3014
    mw 0x9000004 0xe3a02a02
    mw 0x9000008 0xe1c320b0
    mw 0x900000c 0xe3e02000
    mw 0x9000010 0xe2833c9d
    mw 0x9000014 0xe58326c0
    mw 0x9000018 0xeafffffe
    mw 0x900001c 0x2200f300
    arm7_go
    arm7_stop
    /exit

Just to clarify, you will hit enter after each of these commands.

9.) Restore to your custom firmware using iTunes (hold shift and hit Restore, then select iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11_Custom_Restore.ipsw).
    It may hang on "Preparing.." for a long time; just wait it out, it'll move on eventually.

10.) After your restore is complete, put you iPod into DFU mode.
    It may seem like your iPod is "bricked" (Windows says the device is unrecognized), but don't panic.
    Simply be very exact with your DFU timing and iTunes should recognize your device (it'll tell you it needs to be restored, don't do that though).
    Enter the following in your Command Prompt:

iRecovery -f iBSS211.dfu

Unplug your iPod, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in.
    Your screen should be white now.
    Run the following after:

iRecovery -s
    arm7_stop
    mw 0x9000000 0xe59f3014
    mw 0x9000004 0xe3a02a02
    mw 0x9000008 0xe1c320b0
    mw 0x900000c 0xe3e02000
    mw 0x9000010 0xe2833c9d
    mw 0x9000014 0xe58326c0
    mw 0x9000018 0xeafffffe
    mw 0x900001c 0x2200f300
    arm7_go
    arm7_stop
    /sendfile iBSS221.dfu
    go
    /exit

Wait for your iPod to reconnect (it should disappear in iTunes, then reappear in a couple seconds).
    Run the following:

iRecovery -f iBoot221.img3
    iRecovery -s
    go
    /exit

11.) Your iPod should now be booting; enjoy you tethered jailbreak.

Also, don't forget that if you want to reboot your iPod, each time you'll have to repeat step 10 and step 10 only.

THE PROBLEM IS:

I had to reinstall my Vista, but i saved my jailbreak-programs.

My ipod ran out of battery so i had to do step 10. It doesn't work; I cant even put my touch into DFU mode. The computer is not detecting the ipod.

When i open the command prompt and type something, it says "no ipod found"

Now, itunes has stoped recognizing my ipod alltogether. All I want to do is Reinstall the basic ipod touch stuff, without a jailbreak.

Please help me.
  2. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    are you in DFU mode for sure? Power+home 10 secs, release power keeping home pressed, another 10 secs.

You can tell by watching device manager if you don't have the sounds. Right click "computer", properties. select 'device manager' top right. find and expand universal serial bus deviced at bottom left. watch for 'apple recovery' to pop up
  3. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Be very exact with DFU and use redsn0w 0.3 to untether jailbreak/boot up
  4. shinichi_nguyen

shinichi_nguyen Member

Try to restore it back to factory setting with then search in this forum for "redsn0w" application. It runs on Windows too and is easy for one who has no/few experience in jailbreaking ipod touch!
    All you have to do is connect it to computer, then put the ipod touch to DFU mode, then oh well, just follow instruction in redsnow!
  5. truefranco

truefranco New Member

With redsn0w is so easy you don`t even need instructions, as the other dude say ,restore with itunes ,after that ,put your ipod in dfu mode (blackscreen),doble click redsn0w ,sit and wait ,done.

To put your device in DFU mode ,connect you ipod to computer ,turn it off ,close itunes and open the task manager if you are in window ,close the processe itunehelper.exe
    Now press in your ipod power and home ,you will hear a disconect usb sound, wait 6 or 7 secs and release the power and keep pressing the home until you hear a window usb connect sound ,done .Your ipod should be now in DFU mode with the screen black.
  6. frnzn

frnzn New Member

So I've tried all your methods, but the ipod won't respond - no dfu mode - itunes does not recognize the ipod - redsnow does not recognize ipod.

this is bs, i'm positive that my touch havn't been damaged - it's been lying by the commputer the entire time.

any other ideas?
  7. frnzn

frnzn New Member

please?
  8. muffinza192

muffinza192 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    no but ive seen a similar prblem and apple gave a new itouch
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    dont flame me saying its ipod touch not itouch
  9. frnzn

frnzn New Member

Why would apple give me a new ipod?

Come on experts, there has to be a solution!

I have always been told that there could be no damage to a ipod if jailbroke, so wtf is this?!?!?!?
  10. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Call apple. I broke one once and they gave me a new one.