Touch 1g vs. 2g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pusherman99, Jun 20, 2009.

1. pusherman99

pusherman99 New Member

Please forgive me if this has been addressed on this site, but I have been having issues finding good info. to help me make this decision. Any advice will be most greatful.

I am about to purchase an Ipod touch. My choices: 1st gen. 32 gb or 2nd gen. 16gb. Now that 2nd gen seems to be jailbreakable, is there any reason to go w/ the 1st gen (aside from double the space)? I'm havind some trouble making this decision, so any info will be most helpful.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    2G has a slightly faster processor, bluetooth module, volume buttons on the side and a better design. (In my opinion)

Your choice, you can sacrifice 16gp for all of that or go with the 1G if having 32 of space is so important to you.
  3. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Well, I would advise you to go with the 2g if playing games is important to you. The 2G has a faster processor and a speaker, although I do prefer my 1G's design to the 2G. I would also say that the 2G's speaker isn't amazing (this kept me from upgrading in itself). If you can wait, I would say wait for the iPod touch 3G, which will prolly have a Camera (hopefully), and almost definitely will be faster, like the iPhone 3GS.
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I would go with the 2G. The faster processor doesn't sound like much on paper (or online), but it is really noticeable when opening apps and playing 3-D games.

The one thing I've noticed between my sister's iPod touch 2G and my two iPod touch 1G (had one, then got it replaced by apple) and my iPhone 1st gen (traded my 2nd iPod touch for it) is that the 1st gen iPod has the best wifi range. So, if you're at the very edge of a wifi network that you need to use, take that into consideration.
  5. blatent101

blatent101 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Personally, I would go with the 1G. I haven't noticed much difference in processing speeds between the two generations. That "Slightly faster processor", is indeed, ever so slightly faster. However, it doesn't impress me much. The 1G has a much more comfortable feeling. The 2G has too sharp of curves that etched into the sides of your palm when holding it. If I was to buy another iPod touch, I would definitely go with a 1G.
  6. jdelah

jdelah New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    definitely 2G
    its jailbreakable
    bluetooth so now with 3.0 u can do multiplayer games without wifi (main reason to go with this over 1G)
    speaker
    plus the new design is much sleeker and contoured, it feels amazing
  7. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you have more than ~14GB of data (what you can fit on a 16GB Touch), then the 32GB 1G may be a better choice.

The processor speed is negligible. Biased 2G users will tell you that it's huge, Biased 1G users will say it doesn't matter. In reality, things will be a *little* faster on the 2G. It's not huge, but it is a little faster. I will point out, however, that I have never had an issue running any app with my 1G.

There have been tests posted, and the 1G has better wi-fi range.

Of course, the 2G gains bluetooth and the speaker, along with a line-in jack for mics and various other accessories.

A 1G will do the job fine if you don't need bluetooth or the speaker/line-in.

Personally, I'd go for the 32GB 1G, as I have a LOT of music and videos, and can easily fill my 16GB. That may not be the case for you, though.
  8. Hexane

Hexane New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Go for the 2G.

I'd die with out the inbuilt speaker.

For E.g

DS Phat = iPod touch 1G
    DS Lite = iPod Touch 2G
    DSi = iPod touch 3G

The ipod touch 3G, will make the ipod touch 1g look like a poon.
  9. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    after having my 2G since october, i played Need for speed (a game i also have on my 2G) on my friend's 1G, and let me tell you, playing that on the 2G is SO MUCH smoother- when i was playing nfs on my friend's ipod it was all choppy and ridiuclously uncomfortable to look at/play.

edit: ^this is of course in comparison with the gameplay in 2G. becuase i was so accustomed to my 2G, i really noticed the graphics difference.
  10. pusherman99

pusherman99 New Member

32gb 2G...major problems?

Thank you all for the advice...now that I look at prices and such, I might just shell out for ther 32gb 2G...but I read on Amazon that people were having some major problems with them. Anyone else have feedback specific to the 32gb 2g?

Again, thanks for all of the help!!