Touch 1G stuck in DFU, can't restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by ethicsgradient, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ethicsgradient

ethicsgradient New Member

I've tried searching everywhere for this and haven't been able to find anything that works for me. Last night I did a restore on my Jailbroken iPod running 2.2 firmware (it had been acting erratically, probably because I messed up some file permissions in SSH). Restored fine, jailbroke it again, installed a few apps (also no problems) everything was running perfectly. Went to sync it to my library to add music. iTunes put it in recovery mode and insisted I do another restore. I tried and it wasn't successful.

Now the iPod is stuck in DFU mode (it seems 99% of people's problems is that they aren't using DFU mode to restore), and further attempts to restore from 3 different computers running XP and OS X, different firmware versions, trying QuickPwn and Ziphone, deleting the restore file in the iTunes folder, etc have all failed. The farthest it'll get is about 70% of the bar on the Touch's screen ("verifying restore") before it either freezes or iTunes gives me a random-numbered error message and aborts it. The iPod will show up as either an iPod (rarely) or Apple DFU Device in Windows/OS X depending on how far the restore got. There's never a problem getting iTunes or the operating system to recognize that it's plugged in.

I gather my problem isn't so much the DFU mode as it is getting the firmware installed. This is driving me nuts (spent like 6 hours on it so far today) and I'm getting more and more convinced the thing is bricked. If anyone can find a solution that works for me, I'd gladly paypal them some beer (or whatever) money.

As far as taking it to Apple, I bought it as a refurb in November and am pretty sure it only had a 90 day warranty, at best.
  2. Duykur

Duykur Banned

if it's stuck in DFU, connect to your computer and restore from itunes. If you can't, then your not in DFU mode. Do it properly
  3. ethicsgradient

I put it in bold because I realize almost everyone's problem is not being in DFU mode, however I'm pretty certain mine is (can't do anything with it, doesn't boot, black screen w/ no icons, get the proper beeps when connected, computer reports it as DFU, etc). The restore will start but hangs up on the "verifying restore" phase, about 70% of the way through. I don't think it's possible that I'm not in DFU mode.
  4. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Restore it with OFFICIAL firmware, then QuickPwn if desired.
  5. cocotutch

cocotutch Community Development Team Staff Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I had this same problem. I upgraded to 3.0 (coz I'm a Dev) and wanted to restore back to an earlier firmware. This problem has also happened if I downgrade from any other firmware to any other one.

My solution is to Backup iTunes Folders in the Library of your User folder (or wherever your Mobile Apps and Device Updates are) and remove iTunes. Reinstall and try again since it has something to do with the "Device Support" and the "x_1222041452_Recovery.ipsw" stuff. MAKE SURE YOU DELETE THAT FOLDER. Reinstall iTunes and the Restore should work perfectly.
  6. ethicsgradient

That's what I've been trying to do this whole time.

I've tried something similar to this earlier today, tried it again your way (went in and deleted the whole iTunes directory, then reinstalled) and it's still not working. This is just the iPod that will not live :-\

I took it in to work earlier and got all the way through the iPod software restore on one of the Mac Minis, but again iTunes hung up on the "verifying restore" part of the install. I had to unplug the iPod and do a hard reset of the computer, now I'm getting Error 1600/1601/1602 when I plug it in to other computers. Plugging it in to one of the older G5's caused the whole computer to bog down. I went on Apple's website and was surprised to find out I'm still under warrant (it's a 1G I bought as a refurb in November) but from Googling it looks like the Error 1600 is almost always what people get when they're messing with a custom firmware. I did have the iPod jailbroken previously, but I think this problem was having Restore lock up and then having to disconnect the iPod before it could get the OS properly installed. If I brought it in to th Apple store, do you think they'd help me out?

Apple's solution for an Error 1602 is to completely remove iTunes/Apple Mobile Device and reinstall too, so I'll try it all again and post results.

Edit: No luck, still Error 1602. Going to try the Apple Store tomorrow and hope for the best.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Well, this won't be of too much help to people in the future with the same problem, but I took it to Apple store, explained that it froze during a restore and tried all sorts of other methods with no luck, and they handed me a new one after plugging it in to the computer for 10 seconds and getting the same error. Quite a crowd in there even at 10am, I don't think they want to spend a lot of time fussing over it.
  7. ipodressurector

ipodressurector New Member

u still need help?

my ipod was just like yours and i thought it had no solution but i found a way to fix it. you just need to do a few things but i dont know if you got it fixed or not yet???

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. fed123

fed123 New Member