Touch 1G Not Being Found by iTunes/PC

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iTorres, Jun 18, 2009.

1. iTorres

iTorres New Member

Hello all,

This is one of those "similar-but-not-quite-the-same" problems which has been discussed elsewhere in these boards, but I haven't seen any response which would apply to this situation.

Since yesterday not only does my iPod Touch refuses to be recognised by iTunes but when connected to my PC via the USB cable literally nothing happens (e.g. the battery won't even charge). I've tried this on two different PCs with two different cables. (I can, however, still charge the unit with a plug-in charger.)

The other hardware issue which has existed for some while now is that the power off (not the home) button no longer works!

It sounds like the thing is on its way out, but thought I'd ask the question before considering a replacement.

The other salient points:

1st Gen
    never been jailbroken
    trying to connect to iTunes 8
    Windows XP Professional
    Touch long out of warranty.

As I say this behaviour just started yesterday, no hardware or software changes have been made. "Reset all settings" has made no difference.

Any suggestions would be most welcome and thank you for taking the time to read this.
  2. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

well, if the battery wont charge, its either a broken USB cable, USB port, or dock plug in your iPod
  3. iTorres

iTorres New Member

The battery will charge when I use a plug-in charger.

Just to add to the strangeness of it all, it also won't charge when I dock it in my Intempo dab but will still play music through it.

I know nothing about the internal machinations of these things, but it sounds like something is going wrong with the dock connector?