Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Montreal anymore!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by xingyijuan, Jan 31, 2008.

1. xingyijuan

xingyijuan New Member

Alright Ladies and Gents, here's the deal: I did the Term-vt100 Password fix found here (http://www.ifans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=240961&postcount=3) and the backspace fix found here (http://www.ifans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=241492&postcount=16). It worked pretty good and now have access to my Touch from my Touch. BUT, this morning I wanted to show off the new "Locate Me" Map feature to my wife and it localized me in... yes, you've guessed it... Kansas! I'm not a geography genius but I know Montreal, Canada is not anywhere near Kansas, US. Oh, and before that, "Localize Me" could spot me in a 100 ft radius! So what gives? It's the only mod I did to my Touch and it worked perfectly before that. So my question is, can anybody tell me, or point me to, what does the SUID patches do? What line does it change?
    Thank you for your help.

J
  2. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It had nothing to do with it. The locate function is based on guessing (er, determining) which wifi access point you are connected to, and then looking that wifi up in a database of all known wifi access points. It's not always accurate.

SUID patch does chmod +s on the Term-Vt100 app, setting the suid bit. Editing the profile file to add the TERM environment variable (for backspace) also does nothing to the map/location functions.
  3. xingyijuan

xingyijuan New Member

That's what I figure. But since it was the only mod I did and it worked before that, I thought it would be worth to ask.

But I think I'm looking at my problem from the wrong side. I tried it (Localize Me) at my office and it works perfectly.

Thank you for your answer.

J
  4. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I did the SUID changes and mine still works like a charm

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. xingyijuan

xingyijuan New Member

So, there is no way that this changed my RSA Host Key?

Well something did change it, cause I got the damn "WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!" message when I ssh into the Touch...

mmm... the plot thickens...

J -> still looking