Total nub to ipod.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by b2kk258, Aug 17, 2008.

1. b2kk258

b2kk258 New Member

So I bought a Ipod Touch for my car to run this program called,"Dynolicious".
    And I looked on Youtube for videos on it and came across this person that did hacks for his Ipod Touch. I got curious and looked up a Ipod forum and came across this site. After a little searching around I got really confused!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Just wondering if some one could answer some questions.

What is Jail Break?

How would you go about installing it?

What are the Pros of having it?

How do you install apps?

TTR, is that though the ipod store or Jail Break or a game not sold though the ipod store but 3rd party?

How can I get an emulator and rom for my Ipod? is it the same roms and emulators as the pc games?

How do I install the roms and emulators?

What is Iphysics? I get its a game, but what is it like?

Thanks for taking your time and helping me. And I did use the search bar for my answers but just couldn't find what i was looking for.
  2. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Jailbreak = patching and exploiting the iPod/iPhone firmware to allow other 3rd party apps to run.

Installing Jailbreak = WinPwn for Windows, Pwnage for Mac.

Pros = 3rd party applications, that aren't in the app store. These allow for springboard themes.

Installing apps = Apple's app store, Cydia(Jailbreak App), Installer(JailbreakApp)

TTR = in the App store.

Emulators = Found on Cydia. ROMs, search Google for them. Run the Emulator and it tells you where to install it.

I haven't played iPhysics. Someone else can tell you that. Sorry

Hope this helps
  3. b2kk258

b2kk258 New Member

Thank You for the super fast reply!

Just got a few more questions.

Cydia, I'm assuming is a app you can get at the apple store. and you need Cydia to install Jailbreak? and you need Jail break to install an Emulator?

And are pc emulators and roms universal to the ipod? or do I need separate ones?
  4. xLucky7

xLucky7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Once u jailbreak, Cydia gets installed on ur iPod/iPhone (im pretty sure). Cydia helps u install 3rd party apps/games/emulators.

And im pretty sure roms are universal... meaning they can be used on pc emulators / ipod ones / psp ones/ etc... if im wrong some1 correct me

5. b2kk258

b2kk258 New Member

Ok, now I did a little reading up on jailbreak. It looks like there are a few different ones, and each one has more options than the other. What would be ideal to have? I personally just want to jailbreak to install the same apps as the Iphone and have emulators, other than this I don't want some crazy stuff. I wanna keep this as simple as possible.
  6. lakers123

lakers123 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    just jailbreak and instal what ever you need but btw jailbreaking does void you ipod warranty (unless you restore then no one will no

so nothing like cydia or installer can be found on the appstore because jailbreaking is not endorsed by apple
  7. b2kk258

b2kk258 New Member

Right, but what I'm asking is what version of jailbreak should i get?
  8. chadi

chadi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Are you running windows or Mac OS X?
    If windows, use WinPwn to jailbreak 2.0.1, and if Mac OS X use Pwnage to jailbreak 2.0.1. After you jailbreak, Cydia and Installer get put on the iPod. You can then use these to install the emulators, and can SSH your roms into the iPod to play them.
  9. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

To get Dynolicious and TTR, you need 2.0.1 or 2.0 firmware with the App Store. For iPhysics (now being ported to 2.0 App Store), and most emulators (Only NES and quake4iphone are on 2.0.x), you need to be on 1.1.x

I recommend jailbreaking 2.0.x because it is more community supported, you get access to the App Store, and many more new Applications will be releasing soon.

You can find simple jailbreaking tutorials (WinPwn for Windows, PwnageTool for Mac) in the 2.0.x jailbreak section.

Also, just for some more answers to your questions on top of the others:

1) Allowing the running of unsigned code and 3rd party applications not allowed by Apple onto the App Store.

2) WinPwn for Windows OS, Pwnage for Mac OSX

3) Limitless. Customization galore, unapproved applications, system file access, etc. There is no downside besides slightly decreased firmware stability

4) You install application onto the iPod through a WiFi connection directly on your iPod (Cydia or App Store), or by downloading them on the computer and using "SSH" to put them in the Applications directory on your iPod (jailbroken). You can also buy them on iTunes and sync them when you connect your iPod through USB (App Store).

5) TTR is available for free on the App Store on the 2.0.x firmwares.

6 & 7) You can download the NES emulator from "Cydia" (an application put on your iPod for installation of 3rd party jailbroken apps) and put ROMs on it through the aforementioned "SSH". ROM files are universally accepted by all emulators, so they will not differ from ones used on CPU emulators. Gameboy Advance, SNES, and Gameboy Color emulators are now being ported (recoded to work on a newer firmware) to 2.0 by ZodTTD (maker of the emulators) and will be finished soon.

8) iPhysics is pretty dumb, but it will be on 2.0 pretty soon as it is being ported and put on the App Store for purchase if you'd like to try it then. It basically uses the accelerometer (movement detection system) to move objects across the screen to a destination. I.E. if you tilt the iPod to the right, the object goes right, etc.
  10. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Here's a thorough explanation, hopefully you'll understand.

Jailbreaking your iPod touch allows you to run unofficial third party applications on your device.

Pros of jailbreaking are that you can customize your device with custom themes and gaming applications, and so forth, although with the release of Firmware 2.0 which supports Apple's App Store, it's a tough decision, and a very argumental one.

Installing unofficial third party applications can be done so through a packaging application, once your device is jailbroken. The packaging application would be called either Cydia or Installer, and you can browse through lists/categories of applications and install them through that application.

TTR was originally intended for jailbroken devices, although with the release of the App Store, the company decided to make the application available on the App Store. TTR for jailbreak is called Tap Tap Revolution, and a much improved version of the game is available in the App Store, called Tap Tap Revenge. The game is free for whichever method of installing third party applications you choose.

Emulators are installed through Installer/Cydia, and ROMs can be found off various websites and placed in the appropriate ROMs folder on your device. ROMs are illegal, even if you own a legit copy of the game.

iPhysics, a game released by r4m0n, allows you to draw lines and shapes to help a ball roll to it's target successfully. It is originally available on PC.