Top Streaming Content Apps & Sites

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by studangerous, Mar 5, 2010.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

With internet speeds steadily increasing, the big thing these days is on-line content streaming. There are a good number of HTML5 based websites and audio streaming apps out there that you can use to play content on your iPhone and iPod touch. At this juncture I thought it would be good to let you know what I've come across on my cyber travels and maybe we can all compare notes in the discussion thread to see if there's any more hot apps or great sites out there that anyone knows about.

Unfortunately, despite the explosive force of globalisation, streaming content providers are ham-stringed by antiquated copyright laws and country specific legislation. This means that a lot of the content available is country specific and, while there is sometimes a simple ways of getting around this limitation, the only really effective way is to get access to many international streams is to pay a subscription for access to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) based in the country where the content you want is being broadcast.

So without further ado here’s some of the sites and apps I have come across that you may or may not know of . n.b. for the internet sites listed below you may want to put an icon on your Springboard using ‘Add to Home Screen’ from within Safari for facilitated access..

Streaming TV & Video:

• BBC iPlayer (Web, free) [Stu's Pick] – incorporating a handpicked selection of BBC TV programs from the last 7 days with a channel guide and BBC radio. UK only.

• TVCatchUp (Web, free) [Stu's Pick] – Provides real time streaming of UK TV channels, though quality and speed can be an issue if you don’t have a great connection. Again UK only and requires free registration.

• ABC.com (Web, free) – watch ABC’s selection of prime US content including serials such as Lost, Private Practics, Scrubs and a bunch of other less interesting content. US only.

• NBC.com (Web, free) – NBC shows including Heroes, Jay Leno, The Office (US), Saturday Night Live etc. and a bunch of their classic shows from the past (e.g. Buck Rogers Miami Vice, Magnum P.I.). US only.

• Crunchyroll (App Store , free) - streams top Asian anime shows and dramas such as Naruto, Shugo Chara!, Gintama. Ad supported, though no adds for Crunchyroll Anime members. Worldwide access.

• TV.com (App Store, free) - streaming video from a bunch of indie and mainstream channels, including CBS, gamespot, CNet etc. US only.

On Demand Music

• Spotify (App Store, free) – The UK’s preeminent music streaming site. Available only in Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK a, France & Spain due to licensing subscriptions. A premium subscription (€9.99 pcm) is required for the App Store app to function.

• Rhapsody (App Store, free) – Access over 9 million full length songs. Requires an active Rhapsody Go subscription ($14.99 pcm) or trial to work. US only.

• Grooveshark (Cydia, free) [Stu's Pick] – As Apple have repeatedly rejected their app from the App Store Grooveshark went underground and released on Cydia for use by the jailbroken masses. You’ll need a Grooveshark subscription to get it to work but it’s very reasonable at $3 pcm or $30 pa. The more canny jailbreakers will probably be delving in the /var/tmp folder early on and one presumes this may cause Grooveshark some issues going forward. Available globally w/o restriction.

• Pandora (App Store, free) [Stu's Pick] – The number one free content music streaming app that learns from your preferences to provide a stream of tracks that you may not know and truly may enjoy. Ad supported and US only due to restrictions.

• Slacker Radio (App Store, Free) – Very similar set up to Pandora but alogorithms to choose musişc based on preferences don’t appear to be as ‘intelligent’, though Slacker’s interface is nicer. Visual and audio

p) ad supported unless you purchase subscription ($19.88 for 4 months, $47.99 for 12 months). Free use requires free subscription. Restricted to US only.

• last.fm (App Store, free) - 5 million tracks available for your streaming delectation. The app learns your music preferences to recommend new music. iTunes account in US, UK, Canada, France, Germany or Spain needed for download. Once downloaded you can stream from any location in the world.

Internet Radio

• WunderRadio (App Store; $6.99) [Stu's Pick]- If you enjoy radio then this app needs to be on your springboard. It provides a wide band of global radio streams with multiple bit rates, great functionality and it allows you to surf the web in-app while you are listening. Unrestricted access global access.

• Public Radio (App Store, Free) – Streaming internet public radio stations & A selection of on-demand programs. All US based stations but works app works globally.

• Internet Radio Box (App Store, on sale $0.99)[Stu's pick] – At $0.99 it’s a must have. If you feel you can’t stump up seven bucks for WunderRadio then this is your next best bet – it may even be better value for money@ full price $2.99 to be honest though I haven’t yet spent enough hours with it to fully vouch this fact. Global streaming radio that works in most countries with lots of functionality and a web browser to boot.
  2. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    how about last.fm?
  3. itoucheefeelee

itoucheefeelee New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is this in general, or Ipod/Iphone specific? Because if it is Ipod/Iphone specific, ABC.com says I need flash player.
  4. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Yeah, lots of people use that. And good thread studangerous

5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Good point. I intend to expand and add to the list so drop some details here on what you like about it.

mmmm... the thread is iDevice specific. Let me double check that one...

edit/ link fixed to http://m.abc.com
  6. Sloppy

Sloppy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I only wish you could listen to a certain song quicker with Pandora. I still love the app though. Keeps my music new and fresh.
  7. EdmontonFireRadio

EdmontonFireRadio Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I really like pocket tunes radio for a streaming radio app. I've tried the others listed but found they fall a bit short of what I was looking for in an app.

Another interesting app is Action Scanner. You can use it to scan to up to 4 police/fire scanner feeds at a time. When it finds activity it pauses to let you hear what is going on. There are over 1700 cities covered so there is bound to be something good to listen to.
  8. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The app TV.com is another good one. I use that one, and it is pretty much ABC.com and NBC.com (and others) all in one convenient app. Even shows behind the scene clips and the like. It's free and on the App Store.
  9. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I can't live without Pandora! I use it to and from work everyday. The only time I use music from my own collection these days is when I want to here one particular song or album or I just can't get internets (Rare) or when I'm listening to music at home, you can here the sh*tty stream quality with a good system. But driving (When I listen to the most music) Not much of a noticeable difference in quality. Best free app/service ever.

Haven't found a good TV/video streaming app. Then again I really have no intentions to view any TV/Movies/video on a screen so small.
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Slacker is my favorite by far. Used to be addicted to Pandora; then i saw the light.