Top 5 iPhone Developers

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by -tcq42-, Jun 10, 2009.

?

Who is the Best iPhone Developer to Date?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2010.
  1. Electronic Arts

35 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Gameloft

26 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. ngmoco

20 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. Chillingo

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Freeverse

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. Pangea

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Tapulous

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. Capcom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sega

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. Other

9 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The Apple App Store has almost been open for an entire year. It debuted July 9th back in 2008 and look at the time, it's already June 11th 2009. In this short, yet seemingly long, time-span, the App Store has seen more than 1 billion downloads. Such a feat is absolutely amazing.

Now, we all know that not every one of those 1 billion apps were useful. How many were far apps? How many were those Zippo Lighter apps? The point is, the App Store has a lot of crap in it. But even though there's all these useless apps, there are also a lot of useful ones that aid us in the most vital times and provide us entertainment when we're bored. From Super Monkey Ball to Hero of Sparta, the App Store has seen numerous developers come out with games that push the hardware to its limits.

So the question is, who are the cream of the crop in terms of iPhone development? You'll get to vote, but first, I'll voice off as to what I think are the top 5.

5. Freeverse
    Notable Games: MotoChaser, Flick Fishing, Slotz Racer

Freeverse has been around for a long time and their experience has definitely showed off in the past 11 months. Although it looks like they have not put as much time into their development as some of the other developers I'm going to list, the quality of their games and the fact that they were on the ship when the App Store originally launched made me put them at 5. MotoChaser was one of the first applications on the App Store and Flick Fishing has been on the Top 100 list forever. They are definitely one of the most recognized developers on the iPhone.

4. Chillingo
    Notable Games: iDracula, Zen Bound, The Quest

What's weird about Chillingo is that they're more publishers than developers. They work with an arsenal of developers and they then publish the games. I don't know what the whole deal is all about, but I don't think that's really a concern here. In my opinion, iDracula put these guys on the map. It was a cheap, yet great quality game that provided me with a whole lot of fun. Zen Bound was voted for numerous awards as well. They may not be the most decorated publisher/developer, but they still put out a lot of quality games at low prices.

3. ngmoco
    Notable Games: Rolando, Topple, Star Defense

Now we're starting to get into the heavy hitters. ngmoco was a company started up just to develop for the iPhone. They firswt hit their mark when they introduced MazeFinger and Topple. But what put them on the map was Rolando. Although I think of it as a complete rip-off of Loco Roco, Rolando really kind of revolutionized the iPhone gaming industry and set a new standard for the quality of games. ngmoco recently release Star Defense, which has also gotten a lot of praise for putting a 3D spin on the Tower Defense genre. The firm's future looks very bright as Rolando 2 is about to launch and the FPS genre might finally be perfected with the much anticipated release of LiveFire.

2. Gameloft
    Notable Games: Brothers in Arms, Hero of Sparta, Asphalt 4

Talk about revolution. Gameloft really set a standard for many genres early in the App Store's life-span. Asphalt 4 was one of the first somewhat realistic racing game. Brothers in Arms was one of the first 3D shooters on the platform as well. Gameloft churns out one quality game after another and their games are very well known in the App Store. From Terminator: Salvation to Assassin's Creed, Gameloft has definitely pulled in some big name licenses. The best part is that they've executed well when given those licenses.

1. Electronic Arts
    Notable Games: Need For Speed: Undercover, The Sims 3, SimCity

One of the biggest publishers in the video game industry has now turned into the best publisher/developer on the iPhone. At the time Need For Speed: Undercover absolutely dominated the racing genre when the game came out a little more than one month ago. The Sims 3 is now the top paid application on the App Store. The best thing is, this is just the beginning. EA has so many more titles planned for the future. The quality of the games they have produced is just amazing. The visuals are great, the presentation is amazing, and the gameplay is unreal for a game on an iPhone.

So those are my top 5. What do you think is the best iPhone developer thus far? Vote in the poll!
  2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Nice article tcq42.

Very detailed along with and in depth explanation on each of the top 5 developers in your mind.

PS: is there going to be a poll, or do we just say our top 5?
  3. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Poll took a bit of time to put up, lol.

You can vote now.
  4. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    not a fan of EA

or any big name devs, rly

ngmoco and chillingo don't count; i mean things like namco, capcom, sega, ea, non-iphone big names

1)ngmoco
    2)firemint
    3)chillingo
    4)gamevil
    5)atod ab

half edit: glad to see real racing almost in the top 25, and the highest rating of the top 50 too

Please Register or Log in to view images

full edit: i voted other, woulda voted for firemint
  5. Just_For_Now

Just_For_Now Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Electronic Arts.
  6. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I thought that Firemint didn't really deserve to be in the top 5 list. I was thinking about it. Maybe they deserved a spot in the poll. They're probably better than Sega.
  7. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I can't fathom how much money they make from one app.

Gamevil, ngmoco, Chillingo, firemint (because of real racing).
  8. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ^^one of the most popular and polished pick-up-and-play games and easily the best racing game to date, and they don't get on the poll while capcom who has one mediocre game does? o_o

unless capcom has more games than itunes is telling me; it's just showing resident evil

i couldn't think of a good way to word that; it isn't supposed to be accusatory, challenging, etc.
  9. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

I thought Capcom did make more games. I got them mixed up with Namco I guess. Should have put something else there. I was kind of in a hurry to do the poll.
  10. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    well i'm glad you didn't put namco, that would've made me really angry

namco is a prime example of one of the big name non-iphone devs saying 'hey we can make crappy ports for the iphone and people will still buy them because we're famous' and releasing a bunch of sucky games that don't take advantage of anything the iphone has to offer for ridiculous prices just to get money

alpine racer, for example, is terrible when compared to touch ski 3d, which is from an indie dev