Toolchain in windows/cygwin installation issue

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by juanique99, Feb 21, 2008.

1. juanique99

juanique99 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hi, this is my first post in this forum, I bought an iPod Touch last week and I have been playing around with it since then, but now I would like to start developping applications for it.

I was following the instructions for the Toolchain installation for cygwin from http://wiki.iphonegameover.com/Windows_Cygwin_Binary_Toolchain_Installation . The thing is that I already had cygwin installed before, I suspect that downloading the files from the repository indicated automatically starts the script that does the installation itself... I did everything as indicated but (Maybe because I already had cygwin installed) when I open the cygwin bash terminal nothing happens (as usual), is there any way to start the installation script manually?

Thanks in advance.
    P.S. Please excuse my english as it is not my native language.
  2. stabbyjoe12

stabbyjoe12 Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    wierd question but what the helll is that?

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. juanique99

juanique99 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    What the hell is what?

My problem is simple, the instructions say:

Click the Start button and select All Programs -> Cygwin -> Cygwin Bash Shell and you will see the following window:

But when I open "Cygwin Bash Shell" I only see:

So, how do I start the installation script manually?

Thanks.
  4. gusjdt

gusjdt New Member

The best way to fix this is to completely remove cygwin from your machine and install the toolchain with the iphonegameover method. Another way to do it is to make a VM of windows and use that virtual machine ONLY for ipod touch development. This is what I did. I did this because I had already installed the PSP toolchain on my native OS using cygwin, and if I installed another instance of cygwin, they would have conflict issues. Good luck.
  5. juanique99

juanique99 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ok, I did that and it "worked" (I got the "Your toolchain installation is now complete!" message) , but I still can't compile the "helloWorld" application, I got the following error:

$ make
    arm-apple-darwin-gcc -lobjc -framework CoreFoundation -framework Foundation -framework UIKit -framework LayerKit -framework CoreGraphics -o helloWorld main.o helloWorld.o
    /usr/local/bin/arm-apple-darwin-ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [helloWorld] Erreur 1

Any ideas?
  6. gusjdt

gusjdt New Member

Which helloworld source are you trying to compile? Did anything come up during installation (messages/warnings/errors that were unexpected and were not mentioned in the iphonegameover wiki)?

I think this is a problem with your makefile...
  7. juanique99

juanique99 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    This one:
    http://wiki.iphonegameover.com/Hello_World_Tutorial

I didn't see any errors come up.
  8. gusjdt

gusjdt New Member

Nevermind, this is not a makefile error. I just copy/pasted that code and compiled it, it worked perfectly. This is an issue with your toolchain/cygwin installation.

Are you sure you completely removed all the files of the previous cygwin installation?

Did you use the correct Archive.pax.gz? I downloaded one from google the first time I tried and it was a smaller file, turned out to be an incorrect one.

I'm not really sure why this happens, but apparently it happens to XCode users as well, so its probably something related to Apple's files. I would suggest a clean reinstall of cygwin, or simply make a windows VM and put the cygwin there so it is isolated from your primary OS.
  9. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This happens because the installer is crap..
    Copying the filesystem via SCP; ..why?
    Decrypt a filesystem and extract it, then put that in /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/filesystem.
    Install your toolchain now, you'll probably have to delete everything and then run setup again, just make sure your filesystem is present in the directory.
    Now, let it install.
    When completed, save this file to /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/filesystem/usr/lib.
    Then:
    cd /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/filesystem/usr/lib
    bash txt2symlink.sh
    Wait for it to finish, and there's just one dylib you have to symlink.
    mv libstdc++.6.dylib libstdc++.6.dylib.old
    ln -s libstdc++.6.0.4.dylib libstdc++.6.dylib

Now you should be fine.
    I did this and HelloWorld compiled for me, but then I was missing WebCore and stuff, so I have a hard time compiling other applications..
    I have to find out how to get those headers.
  10. gusjdt

gusjdt New Member

Strange, none of this happened to me. Thanks for sharing, jfb. Hope that works out.