Took my itouch out for a drive today to try some WIFI

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gabe, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Gabe

Gabe Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Well, since I have wifi at my house working fine on my itouch, I went to bestbuy and circuit city today. On the road while in the car I was picking up wifi networks like crazy, sometimes at stop lights I could connect and load a page or two before we started driving away again.

In bestbuy they had a wifi network called bestbuy, I connected to it but I could not get any internet, safari said it could not connect to the server or something, and the weather application would not update. Then when I went to circuit city, they also had a wifi network, same thing happend again, I could connect to it but no web sites would load. Both networks were listed as unsecure in stumbler and in the wifi settings area on my itouch settings. Then in the parking lot I picked up some more unsecure and secure networks, I tried to connect to the unsecure ones and connected but still no internet.

I did however connect to someones network that was in a neighborhood and got internet working. So I can connect to networks other then my own home one but still, why so sketchy? It seemed like way more networks did not work then ones that did. Its not just because I was in a car going 50MPH, because there were several times where I was in a parking lot or something where I could connect but no internet.

And to let you know I was out looking for itouch cases, not just to try wifi, lol.
  2. linds

linds New Member

some of those networks probably use mac filtering
  3. Oliver G

Oliver G New Member

Yes a lot do.
  4. Gabe

Gabe Member

Device:
    iPhone
    If they use MAC why wouldn't they just put on some encryption, even WEP.

I'm not saying use WEP instead of MAC, but why not use both if they are already using WEP/WPA
  5. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

It doesn't make any sense that Best Buy would have any open access points. A few years ago during Christmas season a store was compromised from a parking lot and a huge amount of their transaction data (credit card numbers in the clear) was stolen and sold. The FBI got involved and eventually got the guys. They had no encryption running on their 802.11-based registers. They got a huge black eye and fixed things. (The same thing happened to Home Depot)
  6. Gabe

Gabe Member

Device:
    iPhone
    It makes sense why they would have it open, hell, they even let you use their computers to check prices out of other store websites. Some stores like to have Wifi for people, its just a nice thing to do, just like starbucks. But it must have had MAC on it, because I connected but with no internet, and the network name was "Bestbuy".

When I went to circuit city and had the same problem on their wifi, I asked a guy and he said it might be down right now. And then he started asking me about my itouch, and I told him about jailbreaking and he said they had 2 itouch's left in stock and he was going to use his discount and buy one since he got to use mine.
  7. win2000b

win2000b New Member

they might not have dhcp running either. Which means you would get a 169.xx apipa address. Check when connected what ip address u got.
  8. Gabe

Gabe Member

Device:
    iPhone
    If its using MAC address filtering, would it still let me connect?
  9. Jenson

Jenson New Member

No it won't because your IPod Touch doesn't have the MAC Address of one of those computers inside their store.

You can connect but you won't be able to connect to the internet. You'll get that Limited COnnection thing like on PC.
  10. Gabe

Gabe Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Ok. Thanks