Too bad apps can't run in the background....

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by ahrenba, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ahrenba

ahrenba New Member

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say that I am loving the new 2.0 firmware and apps.

HOWEVER, it absolutely sucks that apps can't run in the background. I can see why they don't want them to run, but it stinks. When I listen to the Pandora app, I want to hit the home button, keep the music playing, and browse some pages in Safari....but I can't...it'll stop playing....

Anyone else feel the same way? Think there is any chance Apple will change this?
  2. vbman213

vbman213 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I was surprised Apple actually approved a Pandora Player app... I may never spend money on iTunes for music again... HAHA

Please Register or Log in to view images

But yea it sucks...
  3. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    so true. Pandora or aol radio. but I would like to be on aim and keep listening to the radio.
  4. newdude

newdude New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They don't? I thought they stay on the memory or something, so that when you click on an app, it will load faster.

Yeah there's a double edged sword for ya..
  5. HAL9000

HAL9000 Banned

I find it ironic that you can't run other music applications in the background. It would seem they would allow it if they weren't one of the largest digital music suppliers in the world. I guess they still want people to purchase music.
  6. jetracer

jetracer Member

umm apps do.. like mail and such.. those all run in the background. games might not but i know mail does.
  7. ahrenba

ahrenba New Member

Yeah, those do, but the apps you get from the app store do not run in the background.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

The Steve doesn't want background apps chewing through CPU time and making other apps crawl. If you saw the SDK release event keynote you'll recall that the concept was likened to Windows Mobile crawling when just a couple of apps were opened. (Not such a big deal if you had a fast PDA/phone with a lot of memory -- the Axim X50v I used to have ran fine with two or three apps opened, and would probably have ran even better if it had more memory)

He does have a point, but it's a bit of a weak one. Tasks can be managed by the OS to use not more than x% of CPU time if it came down to it, and could further be managed so that not more than y apps were allowed to run in the background if their combined CPU usage exceeded z%.

But I suppose that would complicate things; one of the main selling points of the iPhone and Touch is the intuitive ease of use. If you start to muddy that up with complex background app rules that may confuse or frustrate the user, you run the risk of turning them off the platform.

It would be nice for a few apps though -- like Pandora or Last.fm or some nice SMS/alarm apps.
  9. HAL9000

HAL9000 Banned

Even though Steve Jobs looks down upon the implementation of a task manager I wouldn't mind one whatsoever. Why have the software monitor your memory and CPU usage when you can get rid of background tasks and processes you no longer wish to run yourself? Apple does not seem to wish to give power to the user of the device.
  10. ahrenba

ahrenba New Member

Great idea. I wish they would implement this. Just give us a task manager at the very least and have the software close the oldest open apps beyond the most current three or something.