Tom Tom Review (small)

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Apache14, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Apache14

Apache14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I just go hold of TOM-TOM (western Europe) and took it on a 600mile trip across the uk and I thought have dropping in a few lines about how it worked and how it compares to other iphone SAT-NAV apps and other versions of TOM-TOM.

Please Register or Log in to view images

So here goes when I first looked into the app I was a little disappointed with the lack of functions it had on the iphone, it is missing live traffic reports and there map share technology. Which may be due to apple limiting their functions, or maybe these things will come but for now don’t expect to see these. But the GPS and SAT-NAV side was all solid full 6/7 digit UK post code support and a very good POI database to boot so on that side its a very solid navigator.

Now down to how it preformed and how easy was it to use. I sat down into my car plugged it in to its dock attached to my window screen entered my destination and hit navigate, it asked me if I would like to avoid toll routes and recalculated. Along the way I has several speed camera popup and such but disappointingly not all of the speed cameras where mapped not even half of them where (that very poor as my 3 year old PDA navigator that I haven’t updated did the same route picking up all but one). But that aside i never got a GPS signal fail or was dropped onto the wrong road so very impressive on the reliability front. The last thing i noticed was TOM-TOM's claim of easy calling but when I got a phone call the app disappeared

it did come back where I left it but that may become a bit of an annoyance but that is probably something more of an apple api limitation. But so far so good for this little TOM-TOM.

About 2hours 45mins i noticed battery at 27%

so when i pulled over i looked and the phone was no longer charging but had the plug symbol and the battery was discharging, and the phone was HOT very HOT so. After some power down time and switching off every non needed system of the phone (3G, WiFi, BT) I was off again. But only for an hour so and the crazy heat shutdown came back

tried again but this time getting it to perch on the seat of my car to have maximum air flow this was still a no go so I positioned the holder in the line of my air conditioning vent to cool the phone this worked well stopping the phone from entering thermal shutdown.

Right many people may say this is due to phone limitations and the 3GS runs hot anyway but i can safely say i’v ran Google maps and navigon on separate occasions for 4+ hours and never had this problem, TOM-TOM failed (entered crazy heat shutdown) at 2-3 hours. This is a major issue as in the UK its quite cool in comparison to some other places and regular heat like this may damage the phone. I will contact TOM-TOM on this matter asap.

But apart from the crazy heat issue this is a good start for TOM-TOM much easier and user friendly than all of the other navigation apps on the phone at the moment but it wouldn’t hurt for TOM-TOM to add a little more, better POI data, traffic reports, there map share functionality and some way of in app calling but this may be more to do with apple than tom-tom.

I reviewed this app on a 3GS running 3.0

-------------------------------[UPDATE] 24/08/09------------------------------------------------

Hi after some looking i found that the heat issue was my iphone after a restore everything was fixed 100%

Also A solution to the poor safety camera information is to add third party POI data by copying them to the "map name" directory. this will add any third party POI data. This should also work for voices atough i havent gotten that working yet. (this is for jailbroken phones only)

Due to me seeing all of this standerd tom tom stuff i think when they update the app for the car kit they may add some support for some extras like live traffic but only time will tell.

Where the missing Car KIT settings menu should be

2. Pandawg

Pandawg Community Development

You should add screenshots, and post in the correct section.
  3. Apache14

Apache14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ad dam soory can someone move thise please then. ill add screen caps asap

4. MikeBoi

MikeBoi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Er, Layout needs to be better, you need to some screenshots to break it up abit, Maybe a large title. Where to get it from ect.
  5. matinsa2005

matinsa2005 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    very nice info i dont care if u put pictures or not but the info was very useful!!! so do u recommend it or not?????
  6. ALBIM

ALBIM New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I might buy the car kit, but the TomTom app seems underwhelming.
  7. Apache14

Apache14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hi I cannot recomend it yet it is a good nav app but these heat issues are to serious to ignore. Iv just contacted apple and tom tom. Tom tom said this is a apple issue and the apple rep said " under normal usage the phone should not be used for more than aprox 20-30mins" after a lot if explanation to it's a navigator and most navigators are used for at least 2hours. They also said that if an iPhone gets this hot I enters thermal shudown I.e not charging which is what I saw but I lacked the error message and total lockout, I dunno what would interfear with the thermal lockout message. Any ideas ? Also I was a lil shocked to find that tom-tom has the ability to use the charging power while discharging the battery giving. Which could cause this amount of heat.

So any ideas about this thermal lockout message being interfeared with would be grate
  8. theclueless

theclueless New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    One thing I don't like about TOMTOM is that it lacks lane info when navigating in the city. I am on a 3-lane road and going to a 5-way intersection, where each lane is restricted to go a certain way. TOMTOM just points which way to turn, but NAVIGON and iGO both display which lane to stay on while I am approaching the intersection.
  9. Apache14

Apache14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes that is annoying athoug some existing tom-tom products have there lane assist so may be added to the iphone app on a later date.

Just updated my first post. The heat issue i was seeing is now fixed with a restore dunno what was causing it tho

10. matinsa2005

matinsa2005 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    so tom tom has nothing to do with the heating problem?????