To Those Claiming to be 'Bricked'

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Exosion, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Exosion

Exosion Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm sick of seeing all the topics of those that think they are bricked after they jailbreak. Read this if that applies to you.
    ---
    Let's get a few things straight.

1) You didn't brick your ipod. Get that through your head because there is a solution to everything.
    2) 'Bricking' your iPod is mostly a myth, and impossible. Really, unless you get into hardware issues, you can't 'brick' your ipod. It can always be restored in some way.
    3) You need too reapply the patch every time you wish to reboot.
    ---
    Now, lets get started. If you just jailbroke and your thinking "HOLY sh*t WHAT DID THAT DEV TEAM MAKE ME DO!!??! IT WONT TURN ON?!!" You have come to the right place. First though, you should know you should go back to first grade as you have some sort of reading disability. It is clearly stated in the README of rslite (which should be read before you open something, hence 'README') that you need to apply a patch before you can reboot. To do this:

1) Put your iPod into DFU mode. This is a little more challenging because the standard 10/10 count won't work. I personally find that if you hold down both for 20 and then the home button for 10, you will enter DFU mode. Open iTunes and let it tell you that an iPod is in recovery mode before you go ahead an apply the patch. Once you are in DFU mode, exit iTunes.

2) Apply the patch. I can simply say that if your on a mac, I'm going to make this a lot easier. I wrote a small apple script to apply the boot (later modified by our own Salamantis) and it can be found attached to this post (Titled Mac Boot.zip). If you plan to use that, once your ipod is in DFU mode, open up the application and follow the on-screen instructions. If your on windows, then search this forum. There are many users developing as well as already developed applications to boot (and jailbreak) your device. They can tell you how to use them, as they are all mostly one-click applications.

3) Understand that every time you completely power down your device, you will need to reapply this patch. You are not 'bricked', your device isn't broken (well it might be, but that's unrelated to this), and most importantly, the dev team didn't hand out corrupt software. Now, please, do not go crying after reading that you can't understand this, because if you can't, you shouldn't be jailbreaking. On a personal, more rant-esque note, I can't believe how much support is being offered to people going 'i want the jailbreak but ipod no work when i try it'. It's an unsupported release. Use it if you know what you are doing. Stop flooding the forum with questions, and just simply read. If that doesn't work, restore and wait for a jailbreak.

Attached Files:

2. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Good thread. Noobs keep saying they bricked when all it is usually is in dfu mode or recovery mode.
  3. iGirl

iGirl New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for putting this together, if only people would look around and read some things before they make new threads right away, and ask about things that only about a 100 people before them already made a thread about.
  4. heidn

heidn New Member

Well, for me an other method worked

Please Register or Log in to view images

I had the Black-Screen problem, too. I tried to come into dfu, but when I've waited for the first sound holding down the Power&Home button, Windows said that the ipod isn't recognized.
    After 1h of trying I've ignored the first sound, just counted slowly to 10 and held the home button for another 5-10 seconds until the ipod was recognized. So i had to let go the Powerbutton BEFORE windows says that the device can't be recognized

sry 4 my english

5. mkikeke369

mkikeke369 New Member

Ok i understand this and all but it didn't help me what so ever i don't know if i actually got the jailbreak but i did everything and i got to the end with out any problems or complications and then after i restored my ipod with the jailbroken fw it just locked up and my computer wont recognize it itunes won't and my other computer won't either do you think i broke it b/c even the power button 10 sec ect. won't work it just stays off i have had it charging all day so it can't be dead and i really need help b/c my warranty is up! oh i don't see any help here i guess i just BRICKED my ipod!?!
  6. King Chronic

King Chronic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Fail.

It's your fault if you actually thought jailbreaking didn't void your warranty. That is to be assumed as well as the fact that it was in the redsn0w readme
  7. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    How is your warranty up? You have a year, and the iPT2G has only been out since September. You are an epic fail.
  8. Exosion

Exosion Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    No your just an idiot. I don't even care if I get an infraction for this post, honestly, you have absolute zero common sense.
  9. chapulin17

chapulin17 New Member

what is it with all these people that think they have "bricked" their ipod, i mean even a seven year-old would understand that a simple restore wipes out everything and installs a fresh copy of the firmware, which is untouched.

i mean i just wrote that and i dont even know what libUSB is used for.
  10. kogama

kogama New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    my ipod says your ipod cannot be restored when its in dfu mode!!!!!!!!!! im trying to do redsn0w tool 1!! trying to upload jbed firmware!! wuts goingo n