iOS 4.1 To jailbreak or not to jailbreak? That is the question.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by neko3343, Sep 10, 2010.

1. neko3343

neko3343 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ...Actually there's a bit more to it than that, but anyways.

I THINK I want to jailbreak (I'm not like "MUST JAILBREAK NAO.", it's just an option really...), but I need to know something first: My dad has our router set to not give my iPod internet access. Even with the password. It'll give me the icon and the signal strength, but all my apps still tell me that there's no internet connection. Is there a way to create my own connection either from my Touch, or from my computer that can be used by the touch? Because I know Cydia needs internet, and a jailbreak isn't really much without it.

Also, speed. My iPod's currently running 4.0, and is a bit laggy. is it worse with 4.1? And does jailbreaking have any affect on that? It's pretty much right at the verrrrry edge of tolerability right now.

One last question, that I just thought of. Any jailbreaking tools that don't need to be installed on a computer, require an older version of iTunes (I believe I have 9.2.6 at the moment), or use a different boot logo (I don't turn my ipod all the way off too often really, the idea just seems annoying...)? I read something about Apple banning it from being opened in Safari... or something. I didn't look too far into it.

Anyways, sorry that's so long.
  2. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    lol your dads cruel really without internet access an ipod is useless also to even jailbreak 4.0 (assuming its a mc model) you will need internet access cydia will also be useless without internet the only way for you to get a connection would be to pay for one
  3. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Nothings really changed since 4.1. (Only iPhone 3G's got the change)
    Im not sure about creating a connection. I don't think you can create one from your ipod tho
    Jailbreak. You won't regret it. Don't jailbreak iOS 4.1 tho. There have been many reports on problems that have occured after jailbreaking it. Wait for a update on the tools to jailbreak that.
    Use redsn0w to jailbreak (as long as you have a mb model) If you have a mc model just go to jailbreakme.com on your device and slide to jailbreak.
    Without internet access you cant use cydia as it needs to download packages from repos to install them on your device.
    Your better off not jailbreaking for the time being because its pretty much useless without a internet connection
  4. FaL LeGeNd

FaL LeGeNd Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I think you missed the part where he said he can't access wifi on his iPod because of his restricting father xD
  5. neko3343

neko3343 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yeahh I know. I cant even use at LEAST half of the apps that even come with the thing. So you know what they do? They sit there.IN a folder. On the third page. That is completely empty save for that folder of apps I can neither use nor even delete. (I'm not even ever going to use "Stocks". Ever. Why does it have to exist!?)

I can get internet access from somewhere else (like a McDonalds or something lol), which is why I was wondering about JailbreakMe. And then I was thinking that there was something on Cydia that could set up an internet connection that I could use at home, which could also be downladed while in McDonalds! (actually, now that I think about it, I could do it from anywhere with any sort of connection; I have WepGen.)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    SHE. For the record.

Please Register or Log in to view images

And I can access our wifi, just not our internet (if that makes anysense at all...) It'll say it's connected to the network and give me the signal arches, but won't connect to the internet for anything...
  6. FaL LeGeNd

FaL LeGeNd Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I apologize. Lol

You could always...well, "hack" into your routers settings. It's not really hacking, just changing without permission xD. If your dad hasn't changed the default password (Usually admin) you can change the settings.
  7. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Why aren't you allowed to use the internet?!
  8. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    yeah stocks is useless as is voice memo and people dont realize it but maps is also because the ipod does not have 3g (those are useless for everyone) and i dont think theres anyway cydia could give you your own web connection for free you should convince him of why you need to use it and how you probably wont use it often enough to raise the bill or anything or you could always live in McDonald's lol and oh i also assumed you were a guy lol
  9. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    either his dad hates them
    or they got caught doing something...

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. neko3343

neko3343 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Because my parent's have seen way too many of those "Just because your child uses the internet they're gonna get either raped or killed by some creeper" videos, so they don't let me online after 10pm (I really don't see why using the internet at night is any different than using it during the day. I'd argue the point with my parents, but knowing them, they'd ban me from any internet at all...)

The weird thing about everyone thinking I was a guy is that yesterday I took a whole bunch of pictures and looking back through them, my first thought way "wow, I look like a guy". Am I a guy and I just don't know it? xD