iOS 3.1 To iPod touch 3G Users: What Tethered Jailbreak Means and FAQ

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by seanG, Oct 11, 2009.

1. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Well, I've seen a few people asking what tethered actually meant/what it means for you if you decide to go with it, and since blackra1n'll be out soon with ipt3 tethered jailbreak support I decided to make this FAQ.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Some questions I've seen:

What it pretty much means is, everytime your iPod is powered down (hold power button at the top and slide to power off) you will need to connect your iPod to a computer and run a program or commands for it to boot (the program in this case would be blackra1n)

No, nothing gets lost when your iPod is restarted.

Again, no, see above question.

So hope this helps anyone asking about tethered jailbreaks, and you can direct anyone asking about it here.

Nope, works on 3.1.1, too.

Out now: http://www.blackra1n.com/

For more updates on blackra1n follow geohot's twitter: http://twitter.com/geohot

Small tutorial for blackra1n:

1. Plug in iPod in normal mode

2. Open blackra1in and press "make it ra1n"

3. Wait for reboot, and you're good!
  2. freemini

freemini Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Pretty complete FAQ. Good job. I remember when I had my 2G tethered...I was thinking "OMG this jailbreak is damn fast"
  3. Rich246

Rich246 Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Never mind
  4. fighter_felix

fighter_felix Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    by that do u mean, that there is no way to reboot the ipod except with a pc?
  5. almondo

almondo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Im also not sure what all this means, maybe i need to be more of a tech head??

OK, I dropped my Itouch 2g now the thing wont work at all. I have therefore decided to invest in a 3g 32gb model at the end of the month and am unsure about exactly what happens when you reboot after installing blackrain. Will the touch just reboot like with redsnow, with all the info and software intact including cydia?

Someone needs to confirm this.
  6. greyham

greyham New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    When I installed winterboard I needed to reboot and all i did was wait for it to reboot the "connect to iTunes" screen came up and i just opened blackra1n on windows and clicked make it ra1n and waited 30sec and everything was back as it was before the reboot

Hope that confirms what you need to know.
  7. fighter_felix

fighter_felix Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    so, after blackra1n successfully, if i reboot my ipod it will stuck at the connect to itunes screen, correct?

so i should connect it to the pc and click again on the blackra1n, a process which takes around 30 seconds each time.

but what should i do with the itunes when its attached to the pc? should i close itunes or just leave it running at the background?
  8. almondo

almondo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Ok, thanks, so in order to reboot from changing winterboard settings, in this example, you have to be connected to a PC - to me, this is a huge disadvantage over other jailbreak programmes.

Thanks for confirming.
  9. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Choose a theme and stick to it. I haven't powered off my iPod for a few weeks now.
  10. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    You can take my advice or not, but I've been around since the day the iPod Touch 2G came out. Anyone here remember all the pointless threads and confusion that came with everyone using the tethered jailbreak? It's pretty frustrating when your on a road trip, and you've got a 36 hour drive ahead of you, no way to connect until you stop for the night and such, and bam, you decide at a gas station to use their WiFi to download a new application from Cydia that requires a re-boot, such as Volume Boost... Well, you're going to get your extra volume boost but your sure as hell not going to enjoy it the rest of the day.

My advice is to wait for the un-tethered jailbreak to be released, it's worth it, trust me, I've used tethered and that story above is completely true... It really sucks waking up at 8AM, driving til' 10:30ish and re-booting but no chance you can get it back on without using a computer.

Besides that point, sometimes Cydia or other custom apps or any app in general will crash, forcing a re-boot... It's risky.