To Iphone or to not Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fabreezai, Apr 2, 2009.

1. fabreezai

fabreezai New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I contemplating getting a new phone (I have a nokia now), however where I live I don't have AT&T service I have Verizon/Alltel. If I was to purchase a new Iphone and Jailbreak/unlock it myself or if I purchased one from ebay that already has it done, will it work on the networks I have available in my area?

Thanks in advance!
  2. eff3ctz

eff3ctz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It only works with GSM Carriers. I KNOW it doesn't work on Verizon and I'm almost positive it won't work on Alltel. I know for a fact it will work on T-Mobile, though.
  3. fabreezai

fabreezai New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    They are in the process of upgrading the system in my area because verizon bought out alltel, so I need to ask my available carriers if they support GSM phones? if so then it will work? I do know that my current phone is a CMDA as I'm on a prepaid, but I am willing to switch if I have to.
  4. franky_402

franky_402 New Member

i was almost positive alltel is part of at&t three of my friends have alltell and when they upgraded there contracts they got att phones and contracts not verizon, also i thought thier alltel phones had sims, i could be wrong tho!!
  5. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Verizon uses CDMA based networks, not GSM like the iPhone. Also Verizon doesnt use Sim cards. And Verizon has bought Altell. I alsmot certain it wont work. Check if you have any GSM providers in your area.
  6. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    God I hate when people ask if they can use Verizon with the iPhone.

Seriously Verizon is CDMA and doesnt take a sim card so why on earth would Verizon work on iPhones if iPhones only take sim cards? It's common sense :/ .

Now Verizon gives sim cards for overseas Verizon users (you get a free one if you have a storm), so possibly if you can get your Verizon wireless network to transfer the network to a Verizon sim card, then MAYBE it'll work with the iPhone. (Just lie and say your going overseas)

But no verizon wireless networks aren't going to work on phones that aren't Verizon, uh-duh?
  7. fabreezai

fabreezai New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for the reply guys! I'll do some more research on gsm coverage in my area before i invest in an iphone. Last thing I want is an expensive piece of artwork. I'll repost with my results.

Appledude, I'm sorry if you hate when people ask questions, I thought that was the point of having the forums, to learn and share info. Not everyone was blessed the way you were with your vast knowledge, we all have to ask questions to learn.
  8. fabreezai

fabreezai New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    OK- I found out that I have T-mobile available in my area, as well my sister gave me her old t-mobile (prepaid) phone with a sim card. So If I purchased a iphone unlocked and jailbroken, I'll be able to use it on the t-mobile system as long as I use the sim card that my sister gave me in it?

Thanks again in advance.
  9. franky_402

franky_402 New Member

yes that would work but not sure how the data would work!! If the prepaid plan doesnt include data which i dont think it would then your account will be used up in hours likely, unless you turn off data and only use wifi sources
  10. fabreezai

fabreezai New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks Franky-

I'll check on the data thing. If I have to get a plan then I'll do so. I'm going to look on ebay/craigs for a phone.

Thanks again for the info.