To downgrade why can't someone just do this?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Volcomstone000095, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Volcomstone000095

Volcomstone000095 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Alright So I was thinking that it might be possible to make a program that essentially restores your iPod with any firmware that you want. Exactly like iTunes does, but it doesn't communicate with Apple in any way so there is no crap about saving SHSH files and other stuff. Would this be possible?
  2. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    it would be very hard, and maybe even illegal?
  3. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It could possibly be Illegal, as the iPhone firmware is copyrighted, and the firmware for iPod is paid. Also, you would have to take some files from iTunes, in which the circumstance that you do, you would be facing several charges, including violation of copyright.
  4. Volcomstone000095

Volcomstone000095 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hehe that's a good point about the illegal part, but it would still be definately worth it.
  5. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i thought all firmwares are free atm.
  6. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    All firmwares are always free for iPhone, and the iPod firmwares are currently only free for users already on 3.1 or above. Possibly even 3.0 and above, I'm not sure.
  7. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Only the ones that the iDevice is shipped with.

Like 3.1.1+ are all free for the iPod touch 3G because that's what it shipped with.

SCREW LEGALITY. I just want my jailbreak back, I could care less if getting something I spent serious money on working the way I want is illegal. Big fricken WoopDiDo. If this is possible, somebody out there figure this out

Please Register or Log in to view images

But on the other hand, it would need root access like iTunes has.. And so far the only possible way is to exploit the firmware(Jailbreak...)
  8. Volcomstone000095

Volcomstone000095 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I feel the same way about the legal issues haha. By the way I was NOT thinking of this as a 2 in 1 JB and restore. Just a restore. Remember iPodWizard back in the day when it wrote firmwares to iPod Videos and 1st gen nanos? I would like to see a similar thing for the iPod touch.
  9. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Apple has implemented more security measures in the newer iPods.. But what i was thinking is that the program could use the new exploit and then gain access through the exploit, giving it permission to do what iTunes does during a restore, without having to negotiate with Apple's servers.
  10. ownerofspam

ownerofspam Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Are you ready for me to pretend to be MuscleNerd?

The SHSH blobs are essential to perform a iTunes restore with the updated iPod Touch 3g's. If you were to create another program that could perform ipod restores, it still wouldn't work on these.

Short Answer: You need the SHSH's, there will never be a way around that.

Long Answer: The Firmware itself that you download from apple's servers is not complete. Essentially, there are small gaps in your ipod's hardware that use the SHSH blobs to fill in certain parts of the firmware with your ECID along with other code that is not yet known how it is compiled in order to complete the firmware. The ipod touch 3g firmware's are not complete in their pre-shsh form, as there is a place for these very small customized bytes to fit in, and if these small bytes don't match up with your ipod, your iPod will reject it.

The fact that we can't restore to older firmwares is not an iTunes issue. It's easy to fake what firmware you're restoring to, and in a few hybrid/edit attempts I did back in the giant thread I actually had some results that I didn't post because I realized that there was no use to it. I could get to the status bar on my iPod but at the same point near the very beginning EVERY TIME, it would stop and reset into Restore Mode. Why? Because it was missing the customized part of the firmware, my SHSH blob didn't work.

If you really want to make a complex program to restore with, find a way to re-create how they make SHSH's , not how itunes restores.