To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vidurm, Jun 10, 2008.

1. vidurm

vidurm New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, I have been contemplating getting a Touch 32gb for quite a while now. And now suddenly apple comes out with these outrageous prices for the iPhone. I have no idea what to do and would like your comments on the same. I have put down a simple list of pros and cons of buying one right now for the 425-450 odd $$ that its available for.

Pros:
    1. I get the 1.1.4 firmware which is working perfectly as of now, has infinite applications and is as easy to JB as saying "iLiberty".
    2. Not much is known about the 2.0 firmware, its not very clear whether installer would work on it or not, whether the appstore would be as "accessible" as installer and whether all the stuff available on appstore would be available for free through some illegal way.
    3. If I decide to wait and get the 2.0 iTouch, I might never get installer and I am pretty sure there would be no way to downgrade to 1.1.4. Hence, it makes sense to buy the 1.1.4 and pay the 10$ and upgrade to 2.0 as and when JBs et al are released for it.
    4. I get it right now.

Cons:
    1. The iTouch 2.0 might turn out to a million $$ cheaper than the current one.
    2. I might be proven (dreadfully) wrong as regards to point 2. and 3. in the pros above.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?????

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks!
  2. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I would advise you to wait, because presumably Apple will release a new iPod touch
    a) When firmware 2.0 is finally released. (1 month)
    or
    b) Before the holiday season.

Now I know that's a long time to wait, but if you do you may be rewarded...

also, there is a possibility of buying a 3G iPhone at $199 and unlocking it to use as an iPod/GPS/Camera/Games and/or Phone (with some other carrier)
  3. duckiiE

duckiiE New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This is what i wanted to do.. but NO. You have to f***ing sign a contract, in apple store or ATT stores.. you can't bring an iphone home without signing a sh*t that will cost you over 1000 bucks for 2 years...
  4. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    just get one the ipod touch is amazing
  5. scorpion 55

scorpion 55 Banned

if i were you id get the 3G iphone
  6. vidurm

vidurm New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hmm...thanks for all the replies guys!

But what is the probability that 2.0 would easily be jailbroken and would have installer?

I guess I'll wait, I'm pretty sure that if nothing else, then people will come up with a way to downgrade it.
  7. Chucky102

Chucky102 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I would be happy to tell you if it's easy to jailbreak..WHEN WE GET THE DAMN 2.0 FIRMWARE ON OUR IPODS....the betas were that, the official fw will be eventually JB, i hope, but no one here can predict the future, just wait.
  8. ScottB

ScottB New Member

The prices for used iPod Touches on Craigslist are already coming down. People are anticipating the price drop or jumping ship to the new iPhone. I see a ton of iPhones out there for sale too. Way more than you normally see.