Tired of your ethics.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Boop, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Boop

Boop New Member

First I believe this is in the right sub-section of the forum since it's related generally to all ipod touches / iphones.

It seems there are certain individuals that want to ride on their high-horse and look down upon other users for their decisions on what they want to do with their own hardware, that they've purchased. I'll cut to the chase, people whining, "ohhh you're only going to jailbreak because for cracked apps", need to sit down and reconsider their generalizations. TL;DR at bottom.

Apple has created a platform that is closed and strictly controlled. When I buy a 16 GB Ipod Touch for $340 dollars I want to feel like my money has been well spent. I don't want to be limited by the fact Apple doesn't want you to mess around with a device you own. This is similar to DRM on music. It's plain stupid. I can't access the file system. I can't download files off the web browser. I can't run applications in parallel in the background. I have a computering platform in the palm of my hand that is capable of so much and yet so limited. Why is it I can't develop applications freely on other platforms besides Mac OS? Why is it that I am not freely able to decide how I want to distribute applications I develop? Apple charges developers money just to be able to distribute apps and they have no choice but to distribute them the way Apple wants: the app store. It doesn't make sense to offer free applications when you had to spend money to develop them. I get free apps bundled with advertising, demo apps, watered down versions of paid software and I get developers asking 15 dollars for a instant messaging client. The app store is a capitalist's cesspool. On my desktop computer instead of using Microsoft Office I use Openoffice. I won't claim innocence, but most of the time I just look for reasonable alternatives and I pay for what I feel has value to me. Apple forgets that a platform is only as good as it's community. They should be encouraging freedom, alternatives and choices for people or eventually the crowd will look for alternatives. Don't get me wrong all this might seem like bashing, but I think the Ipod Touch is a great device. It's some pretty impressive hardware. I also think Apple does a fair job of designing operating systems. I am just disappointed at the direction they have taken with this and I am highly impressed by the direction that Google's Android operating system has taken: completely open, encouraging and rewarding to customers and developers. I'd even endorse a jailbreak just to see Android on the iphone/ipod touch.

Rapping this rant up. Stop generalizing people as thieves. Look at the whole picture instead of posting on preconceptions. Piracy can be left open to discussion on another forum/website.

Too long; Don't Read - It's called jailbreak because breaking out of a jail is a metaphor for escaping from restrictions. The iphone os platform, is so restricted that jailbreaking is around to open up options and take full advantage of the hardware. It's not all about stealing, it's about being able to make choices.
  2. roboticos

roboticos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wow. Great first post.
  3. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I guess so...
  4. atomicmufin

atomicmufin Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hm.
    valid point.

+welcome
  5. JohnnyAndroid

JohnnyAndroid Active Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    Well, said!! I agree. No one has any right to judge and misconceive any one on this forum. Everyone is different so who cares if someone cracks apps or doesn't.

No. I'm not condoning piracy but as stated 15 effing dollars for a freaking instant messaging client?!?! What the hell? Yes, there are alternatives but maybe I don't want the alternatives. You have to look at the whole picture!
    Some people aren't as fortunate as others to be able to go out and just splurge on App Store app. Yes, get a job or ask your parents is what everyone is saying, sometimes that isn't as easy as you guys make it!

Stop judging and stop generalizing. Period.

Also, for the ones who do pirate just to pirate, you're making it worse. Go find something better to do with your life instead of pirating App store apps!
    /rant
  6. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Somebody finally took the time to make a post like this. I totally agree.
  7. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Most excellent. I completely agree.

I will freely admit that I jailbreak for cracked apps. However, I also jailbreak for themes, MxTube, SBSettings, emulators, and being able to download files in Mobile Safari.

Let up with the whole "Piracy is a horrible, horrible thing." It's not like we're suddenly going to say, "Gee, you know, you're right, I never realized that before," and stop. Seriously. It is a possibility that we simply don't have hundreds of dollars with which to buy all the software we want.
  8. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So your saying that you have cracked apps you think you think since you spent $340 on an IPOD that you should get cracked apps because Apple is too restrictive?
  9. DarthVader1432

DarthVader1432 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yes....its your device you can do whatever you want with it(this is for the OP's message nothing about cracked apps in previous post).
  10. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wow, I'd have to cite this as being the most philosophical and best thought out first post I've ever read.

Sure beats the hell outta all those other first posts that consist of "DUDE OMGZ NOOO!!1! I BROKEZ MEE ITOUCH!!!1!111!" lol

But seriously dude, I agree with you, When you pay this much for a device, it should not be limited or have such strict restrictions. Apple needs to be more laid back, kind of like Sony. When all that PSP modding happened, they didn't frantically pop out firmware updates to stop it, they just sat back and watched it play out, and then took ideas from it to improve their devices, and the only thing apple has taken is the App Store.