Tirck with Categories app

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ZMOBtiger, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ZMOBtiger

ZMOBtiger New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I haven't seen anything posted like this, but this is something I just discovered with the Categories app. If you use it, and have blank apps in them, or don't want to use blank apps because they take forever to close and take up room on your iPod/iPhone, then this trick is for you.

If you have ever deleted an app via SSH that is in a category, I'm sure you have noticed that a black icon with a question mark on it appears in its place in a category folder. Like me, you probably just deleted it from the folder in Categories and didn't give it a second thought. Recently though, I found out that you can make that black question mark icon disappear by replacing the blank.png inside of the category via SSHing into:

/private/var/mobile/Library/Categories.app/"Folder".app

I used to have about 20 blank applications on my ipod in total, most of them in categories. With this trick I have cut it down to 3 blank applications (only on my springboard). If the spaces where the deleted blank apps are touched, your ipod will crash directly to the springboard.

Quick tutorial:

1. Put blank applications on iPod (/Applications)
    2. Make category using Categories.app, including the blank applications inside the folder
    3. Close Categories.app, your ipod wil respring.
    4. Replace blank.png with the blank.png attached (/private/var/mobile/Library/Categories.app/"Folder".app)
    5. Delete blank apps (/Applications, highlight, DELETE)
    6. Now you should have the perfect blank apps that crash back to the springboard in 1 second!

Attached Files:

2. Bibbi Bokken

Bibbi Bokken New Member

3. yankees101

yankees101 Banned

is this for 2.0 or 1.1.4
  4. ZMOBtiger

ZMOBtiger New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I didn't think categories was out yet for 2.0...so I guess this is for 1.1.X firmwares, but this could work when categories comes out for 2.0