Tips for aspiring theme makers

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by SiXAXiS, Dec 29, 2009.

1. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Recently, like the last 6 months, there have been a ton of theme releases and almost all of them are "soft plastic" and "matte finish" style icons. Yes, they are great but most of them also have Glyphs. Glyphs are awesome, and really make the theme look great, but in the included package, there is either not enough icons, or not enough resources for icon kits. So I come here today to share with you some of the thing I'm pretty sure most of us want in themes.

1. ORIGINALITY: Make it original, and don't steal/rip other people's theme.
    2. END-USER FRIENDLY: Make it so it is easy for us to use
    3. DISTRIBUTION: Try to put it on Cydia/Rock/ICY or other Installers. If not, make a nice bundle/care package so it is easy for us.
    4. AESTHETICALLY PLEASING: I am pretty sure you have put a lot of effort into themes, from hours to years, it doesn't matter how much time is put into it if it comes out "mediocre", and appears pixelated, in-proportional, or off centered.
    5. ICON KITS: Icon kits? wtf? I am taking about .PSD's and other little things we can use to make this theme work out for us. This is a big one though, because most theme makers do infact include .PSD's, but do not provide us with sufficient resources for glyphs, and other details.
    6. SUPPORT: While the first release of a theme may not have the sufficient amount of resources for further extending their theme, others make sure they can come around and make whatever icons is needed. Support like this is crucial for making a successful theme.
    7. COMPATIBILITY: Not everyone has Photoshop. So if you are able, make it so your source files are compatible with other programs such as GIMP, and MS Paint. ( Just kidding, not MS Paint. )

In my opinion, if you do use these tips, I think you can make a really successful theme. Most themes are great, but lacking the extra support.
  2. Rainstar182

Rainstar182 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Gracias, SixaxisMoFo. Really helpful.
  3. Cydiaia

Cydiaia Banned

Device:
    iPhone
    Good tips.
  4. maxam

maxam Member