Time Capsule on existing network?

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by ash09, Sep 12, 2009.

1. ash09

ash09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have purchased a 1TB Time Capsule for backing up my MPB as well as file storage. However, my house has an existing wireless network, and it would be a huge pain in the ass to get everyone to use the TC as a router.

Is it possible/doable to plug in the ethernet cable into the TC and use it as sort of a "router extender" for my network? I do not get very good range on our current router and would like to use the TC as a sort of signal repeater. The TC will will be in very close proximity to both an ethernet cable as well as on the other side of the wall of my MPB.

Will this conflict with the existing (mostly-Windows) wireless router?
    That was difficult to explain, hopefully it makes sense.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The windows PC's should have no problem conecting to the TC, so you could just swap out the existing router for the TC.

but, if you don't want to or can't, you can ether run ethernet from the router to the TC or bypass the router all together and go from the modem to the TC. Just get an ethernet hub if the router and modem dont have any other ethernet ports. Probably better to go from the modem to an ethernet hub and split it from there, one ethernet to the router and another to the TC. That way you will avoid any router reconfiguring BS. Router stays in place and TC gets internets.
  3. ash09

ash09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply

Please Register or Log in to view images