tilted lcd effect

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by berky93, Mar 8, 2009.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

I was messing around with my laptop when I accidentally knocked the screen into a tilted position. If you of you have ever seen an LCD screen (I'd be surprised if you haven't) you'll know what it looks like from an angle. I'm trying to figure out how to recreate that effect in photoshop. I can tell that there is some color inversion, but it is not completely inverted (white doesnt become black, it becomes kinda grey) and certain colors invert more than others. and the effect is more drastic at the edges of the screen than the center, and more at the end that is farther away from you than the side that is close.

I think if this could be faithfully re-created it would just be one more element in ultra-realistic photo edits. (seriously, have any of you ever seen a screen in a non-edited photo that was as clear and vivid as an edited one?)
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Try color burn, exclusion, and hard light.
  3. berky93

berky93 New Member

yeah that was pretty close, was still not perfect, but looked good nonetheless. I noticed that the effect occurs more in darker colors, so i think it would be more effective if you use threshold to select only the dark ones. I'm going to try that now.

It's a cool effect, and it will never be perfect (nothing ever is) but I noticed that transforming an image with the effect applied (it would only appear on a tilted screen) and having a slight gradient layer mask on it makes it much more realistic.