Review Tiger Woods PGA Tour '10

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by -tcq42-, May 29, 2009.

1. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour '10
    An 18 hole green in your pocket

Please Register or Log in to view images

Golf is often perceived as the sport for boring old people who aren't very athletic. I can see how this argument could work. I mean, on the outside, golf is nothing more than hit the ball into a hole. Walk or take a golf cart to the next hole and then rinse and repeat for 18 holes. There's no need for endurance, no clock to beat, and you don't have to the fastest and fittest person to win at the sport.

However, this will all change when you actually try and play the actual game itself. I totally got a taste of it when I played my first 9 holes. I think I was like 15 strokes over par. If you're not into golf, that's atrocious, especially for only 9 holes.

So if you're like me and you suck at golf, you should definitely give the golf video games a try. One to look out for on the iPhone and iPod touch is definitely Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010. It is the only golf simulation on the platform and it is also one of the best sports games I have ever played on the platform. With its deep gameplay, excellent visuals, and innovative controls, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010 is the complete package for hardcore and casual golf fans alike.

I've played the Tiger Woods games on the consoles and even on PSP, they're somewhat boring. To be honest with you, I'm not a huge golf fan. I may know a couple of golfers (who doesn't know Tiger?), but when it comes to the intricate stuff of the game, I'm clueless. So I've always been looking from the outside in when it came to the gameplay specifics in golf games. Nevertheless, Tiger Woods '10 taught me some really good stuff. Like I had no idea you can shoot fades or draws in golf. How in the world do you get the ball to spin to the right or left anyhow? That stuff just seemed kind of like fantasy. Well, in Tiger Woods '10, you can do that. You can also give the ball backspin in mid-air (I know, this isn't possible in real life), which trust me, is very useful when you overshoot or just undershoot the hole. At first, putting is impossible. But once you find out about putt-preview, it is a life saver. Ever since using putt-preview, I can easily sink 5 yard putts like cake. Due to this, my golf skills in this game have risen dramatically. I used to have a real hard time getting a par on Pebble Beach, which is one of the seven courses in the game. After getting used to putt-preview and many other nice aides, I golfed a 3 under just the other day. So it takes a little bit to get used to, but once you've mastered everything, this game is very enjoyable.

Putt-Preview is your friend!

Tiger Woods '10 is definitely one of the best looking games on the iPhone. The courses of lush green really show up on the iPhone's vibrant screen. Although the backgrounds are a little bit stationary and cardboard like, you don't see those all that much to begin with anyways. The character models look decent from afar, but up close, it's not so pretty. Nevertheless, it can still be considered eye candy for an iPhone. Trust me, it beats out Everybody's Golf, Real Soccer 09, or whatever other sports game that's out there in terms of visuals.

Only real pictures of St. Andrews beats this on your iPhone...

The controls are what make this game extremely fun. It's not only innovative, but it works extremely well. To hit the ball, there's this sling-shot mechanism. Where you select your power by pulling back on the touch-screen and then you fling your finger in a certain direction to direct the ball's direction. So basically, the first pull is the back-swing and then the push is the swing itself. It mimics the actual game of golf and it works to perfection. Want to hit a fade? Draw from the right corner of the sling-shot mechanism towards the center and you will see your ball fade to the right. It's the opposite for a draw, I don't think I have to explain. The straighter you are on the push back, the straighter your golf ball will go. Also, when it comes to putting, the same system is employed. Like any other golf game, when you are in a putting situation, there's grids on the ground that tells you the slope and speed of the terrain. Probably the most innovative, yet unrealistic, part of the controls is giving the ball spin in mid-air. If you've ever played a Freeverse game, you may know what I'm talking about. You can make the ball spin backwards or forwards in mid-air, helping it gain or lose distance in the air, as well as when it hits the ground. It's very useful in certain situations where you overshoot or undershoot towards a hazard. If you ever play on Pebble Beach, the water hazards on that course are horrible. That's when the back spin in the air really saves your life.

That's the thing I was talking about...

The great thing about Tiger Woods is that it also has a lot of extras that will keep you playing. For example, if you ever get tired of just playing with the professionals that come with the game (which at first includes Tiger, Singh, Goosen, Sorenstam, and Gulbis), you can build a character and improve his golf game by going through the really long PGA Tour. It will definitely keep you busy if you're stuck anywhere without anything to do. In addition, the game's presentation is pretty spot-on. When you get a 100% hit on a drive, the game goes to slow motion and you here this whoosh when your driver hits the ball off the tee. It is an absolutely amazing feeling that makes you love this game just that much more. Plus, the game has actual commentators. They might be a bit uninformative and repetitive at times, but this is the first time I've seen an iPhone sports game with commentators.

Who the hell made this guy wear pink?

Overall, Tiger Woods PGA Tour '10 is just a great golf sim. It's a must-get for any real golf fan or just any casual fan, like myself. It's got deep gameplay, very good visuals, great control, and spectacular presentation. It's definitely worth that $9.99 price tag. It may crash at times, but a simple restart or respring will do the trick. If you like golf, you have to get this game. There's no excuse.

Ratings
    Pros: Good visuals, deep gameplay, innovative control scheme, and spectacular presentation.
    Cons: Crashes at times, a bit expensive at $9.99.
    Gameplay: 9.5 - Need I say more?
    Graphics: 9 - Good for iPhone, but the faces on the golfers are questionable.
    Audio: 8.5 - Menu music loops too much, not enough tunes. Decent commentators though.
    Presentation: 10 - Makes you want to jizz in your pants every time you hit the ball hard.
    Replay Value: 9.5 - Very long PGA Tour. You can always make a second golfer.
    Overall: 9.6 - It's a must-get.

Buy on iTunes

Gameplay Video

Attached Files:

2. rileyman

rileyman Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    This game would be better without the 105MB size.
    Im going to wait for EA's mini golf game
  3. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do you have an 8GB or something?
  4. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i'd say its worth £5.99 / $9.99

its truly amazing...

great review
  5. MikeBoi

MikeBoi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice Review. good luck in the competition

6. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It is worth it. Better than any Gameloft game that's also worth $9.99.
  7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This is what i read..

0_o
  8. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Some people may not like the fact that it's worth 10 bucks. That's all I'm saying. It's hard to find cons with this game.

9. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    true.... EA really polished htis one up.
  10. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I found it weird that this game came out before the console and handheld versions did...