TIFF fix with installer.app have problem installation/uninstallation

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ipoddy, Oct 29, 2007.

1. ipoddy

ipoddy New Member

I installed TIFF fix from installer, and was not sure about what it's purpose. After installtion, it asked me to go to http://jailbreakme.com . I have jaibraked already using eralier method, that's why I've installer.app. So I decided to un-install the TIFF fix from installer. Now later when I tried to install it, it put the messeage that script couln't be run. Is it a bug? If so, it should be fixed. If not, it shouldn't be included in the uninstall section of the installer, because if it is in unstall section, then it means you can un-install it without any further problem.
  2. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

It's not a bug it's meant to close a loophole through which the ipod could be exploited. The reason it asks you to go to the jailbreak site is only to prove it's working.

As for uninstall, I tried uninstalling it and it seemed to work ok but now when I re-install it I get the main script execution failed message.

Anyone know why?
  3. happyman696

happyman696 New Member

Not entirely sure. But i think it is a permant fix. Well unless you restore you ipod touch. So if you try to reinstall the app it fails beacuse it has already been patched. I might be wrong though.
  4. ipoddy

ipoddy New Member

When you un-install it, what does it do then? That's a big question then. If un-installing means something then there must me a way to re-install it. Otherwise there shouldn't be any provision to un-install it.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

That's not quite true about the Uninstall. If something is installed through the Installer, then it is automatically added to the Uninstall list. From there, Installer would access a specific Uninstall Script for the specific app. In this case, since I'm pretty sure this is a permanent fix, I'd bet that there's no code in its Uninstall Script (of there is one at all).
  6. YOHAN

YOHAN New Member

Okay, please explain in 'dummy's' terms why everyone needs to install this TIFF exploit and what would happen if we don't?

Thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Dummy terms? Okay.

The tiff exploit is the gaping hole in your iPod's security that allowed access into the iPod for the original iPod hackers. It is by utilizing this exploit that you were able to JailBreak your touch.

Once you're Jailbroken though, you don't want that great big hole in your security through which malicious code could enter. Fixing the hole goes a great long way toward securing your iPod.
  8. ipoddy

ipoddy New Member

So 'permanent fix' means that even if you uninstall it the TIFF hole has been fixed, and nothing to worry. That's what you're saying?
  9. oliath

oliath New Member

yeah but surely you dont want to close access to yourself either?

what if you muck up your ipod and have to restore and then need to jailbreak again? Will the tiff fix still be in place?
  10. midiman6

midiman6 New Member

I would think not because you are restoring your ipod to it's original firmware, therefore completely resetting it to factory default. Unfortunately I don't know for sure because I never tested it myself.