Thoughts on getting around 1.1.3 payment

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by endorphin, Jan 17, 2008.

1. endorphin

endorphin New Member

hey guys,

I've been reading all of the things everyone here has been trying to do to bypass the $20 fee to get the full functionality of the 1.1.3 update, and a thought occured to me. What we do know is that you can update to 1.1.3 for free, but you get no new functionality or new apps if you do so. By paying $20 dollars, you get the new functionality and new iPhone apps through the update. Restoring the Touch after you have purchased the apps seems to run a check to your itunes account or by some other means, to make sure you have purchased the $20 Update for functionality and apps. I believe the 1.1.3 update already has the functionality built into the firmware, and possibly has the apps built in too. So essentially you are paying $20 dollars to "unlock" these features. We also know that the newly shipped iPod Touches will have the 1.1.3 firmware already on them, with the apps and added functionality. So what happens when one of those new Touches has to restore? It's definitely not going to make the person pay $20, because the apps and functionality are already included, and "unlocked" n that firmware file. What i"m basically tryng to say is, can't we restore our iPod Touches to that specific firmware file?
  2. MacUpsession101

MacUpsession101 New Member

THE 20$ that your paying, is a 9kb file that is just making the apps visible and useable, in the 1.1.3 firmware, the appps are on your home screen, but they are turned off, so. all the 20$ is doing is letting you enable the apps function.
  3. Weo

Weo New Member

so yes, the restore method sounds sound. Just has to be tweaked a little
  4. endorphin

endorphin New Member

yeah guys, i know what the $20 dollar update does, but what i'm saying is the new iPod Touches shipped with 1.1.3 have full functionality (app arrangement, multiple home screens, etc.), so the firmware file they restore with or just that firmware file in general has full functionality and apps. so what i'm thinking is resroing with that firmware file on our iPod's. it's just a matter of when the iPod's with current firmware come out.
  5. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    but the ipod purchased after 27th december can have the upgrade for free, right ?
    In this case I think the firware is just the same as we got from itune. Maybe they check your serial number. I don't know if there is a way to change your serial number and try to see if you can get the upgrade for free using a new serial number.
  6. rrm74001

rrm74001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    lol. change your serial number. nice try. your serial number is just like your MAC address. it is hard coded into the hardware. there is no way of changing it.
  7. rem736

rem736 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    seriously people. why does this topic keep popping up? if you want the 5 apps for free, just stick with 1.1.1 or 1.1.2? it's that simple. why is it such an issue? if you just bought your ipod and it has 1.1.3, then from what i heard (and i could be wrong) apple will include the 5 apps in your purchase price.

but in any case, it's documented that you can downgrade and then install the 5 apps FOR FREE. plus many more FOR FREE.

all the added features of the new firmware, minus the itunes store stuff, have been available for jailbroken touches for a while now. they only added features to catch up to what people have been able to do all along.

so what's all the fuss about?

EDIT: the only feature that wasn't duplicated was the gps function via google maps. but it's highly inaccurate even for iphone users with cell towers for triangulation in addition to wifi. and the wifi way depends on whether or not the particularly wifi is registered so that it's location is known and set. i highly doubt that you or i would send to apple/google the location of your/my wireless router so that it could be used for improving their gps locater service.
  8. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have read somewhere on TUAW that someone manage to spoof the mac adress of his iphone.
  9. PhoisGOOD

PhoisGOOD New Member

hae it when people say dec 27th i f***ing bought mines on the 26th ;_; gaii
  10. xX945Xx

xX945Xx New Member

this is not true because i bought my Ipod the 6 of January of 2008