Thoughts: iWork Pages

Discussion in 'iPad' started by IceBerg, May 6, 2010.

1. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    At first you would think, great, an app I can do some simple word processing on and be productive on the plane. Well this all depends on your definition of simple and how you orient your iPad.

First and foremost the worst feature of Pages is the fact that you MUST be in portrait mode to access any of the menu options. This discouraged me right off the bat, but I thought to myself, "hey, I'm using the wireless keyboard, I'll just use some shortcuts." To my surprise, the only shortcuts that exist are for selecting text. Yes I said selecting and did not mention copy or paste.

Now you are asking yourself, why is this such a problem, well for best viewing, especially if you dint buy a doc, you will be in landscape mode. This means you can only type and select text. This you can just do with notes, you do not need to spend 10 bux on a sh*tty word processor that does nothign useful. I wish there was a way to get my $10 back, this app is hideous.

Just as a matter of point all I was wanting to do was change the indent level of bulleted text. The auto bulleting system works for generating it but you can not control the indent level.

I have briefly used keynote and it's pretty good, I have not used numbers at all but I will give it a shot and write some reviews on both those later, but for now I recommend you avoid Pages.

If someone finds some shortcut keys that do work, even if they are not related to bulleting please post them.
  2. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    Vulgarity, no pictures, no formatting. All the makings of a great review. Oh, wait...
  3. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Didn't you just rant about this in the OpenOffice thread? Oh wait...you did! Let me post it here for you!

*not biased at all

/sarcasm
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I love Pages.
  5. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    This. It works well and I use it every day.
  6. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    It's flawed badly and needs fixed, I posted here to go into more detail. I also have a support call into the dev team at apple, that basically mean my complaints have passed on and I should expect no further responses. Simple hot keys to do stuff in landscape mode seem essential to me. If they fixed that I would probably be happy with it, I love keynote, it's just pages doesn't fit into my style of work flow.
  7. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    This is no excuse to post this as a "review" when you don't say anything about the good.
  8. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I've updated the title accordingly; this isn't a review. Its little more than a rant.
  9. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    Yeah, well Pages is an amazing app for such a device. It doesn't hurt to just put it in Portrait mode for a second, make the adjustments, and flip it back, you have to keep in mind, this is a mobile application.
  10. The Poison Woman

The Poison Woman Banned

What\\\\\\\'re you talking about? A review doesn\\\'t necessarily have to talk about good things, especially if the review believes that there are no good things to point out. A review is an unbiased opinion of a person, and a suggestion whether you should buy it based upon their unbiased conclusion.

[Nice; for some reason iPTF\'s adding random slashes to my posts]