THIS IS HOW TO JAILBREAK 3.1 in WINDOWS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phillip84, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Phillip84

Phillip84 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows (XP,VISTA,7)

Before you start you need to have the following:
    1. a copy of itunes 8.2 if you don't already have it installed. (download it here Itunes 8.2 Link
    2. a copy of custom firmware 3.1 I cannot tell you how to acquire this.
    3. a copy of Redsnow 0.8 (download it here Redsnow 0.8 Link
    4. a copy of the OFFICIAL 3.0 firmware

*If you currently have your iphone jailbroken at the 3.0 level, put your phone in RECOVERY Mode (not DFU) and use steps 1,2,3,14 & 15

**If you currently have your iphone at an OFFICIAL 3.1 level, complete all of the steps.

Step 01: If you have Itunes 9 installed then uninstall it.

Step 02: Install Itunes 8.2

Step 03: Run Itunes 8.2

Step 04: if you get an "itunes library.itl" error then delete or move it from your itunes folder in "my music"

Step 05: Once you have iTunes 8.2 running, put your phone into DFU mode

Step 06: click "ok" when itunes tells you it detects your phone in recovery mode

Step 07: once your phone is in DFU mode, hold your shift key and click restore in itunes

Step 08: a window will open and you will now locate the official 3.0 firmware file and select it

Step 09: itunes will now install the official 3.0 firmware onto the phone

Step 10: at the end of this process you will likely get a error 1015 or something like that. ignore the error by clicking ok and your iphone should be showing the usb and itunes logo at this point.

Step 11: Now open up Redsnow 0.8

Step 12: Browse for the 3.0 official firmware and follow the directions that the software gives to jailbreak the iphone. during the jailbreak process for 3.0, you will notice that it seems to freeze at the "installing activation bundles" part. Don't worry, it is not frozen. Just give it a little while and it will finish.

Step 13: At this point your phone might have the USB and Itunes image back on it. This is fine. Open iTunes back up and you will probably be greeted with the "itunes detects your phone in recovery mode". Click OK.
    DO NOT PUT THE IPHONE IN "DFU" MODE AT THIS POINT. Leave it in "Recovery Mode". Leave it as it is.

Step 14: Once again, shift click the itunes restore button and select the 3.1 custom firmware.

Step 15: THAT'S IT! Let it load the 3.1 custom firmware and you are set!

I have done this on 3 3G iPhones and can confirm that this process absolutely works. I hope this helps all of you that have been waiting on a windows version of redsnow that jailbreaks 3.1. This process may take more time but it will work.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Please post your success or unsuccessful stories once you try this method. It will help out others and point out mistakes. Thanks guys/gals!
    Has anyone had any luck with this yet? Just curious to see if it has helped anyone yet.
  2. gamepro127

gamepro127 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Does it work with Ipod touch 3rd generation 32GB?
  3. Phillip84

Phillip84 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'm honestly not sure. I only have access to iPhone 3G's. So that's all that I have been able to try it on. Since you may know your device better than I do...do the steps in the instructions look like they might be able to be applied to the ipod touch 3G? If so, it may not hurt to at least try it out.
  4. loop4444

loop4444 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hmmm..so yozure saying all we need to do is get hands on custum 3.1 firmware somebody done on mac,and just restore using it in itunes 8.2?
  5. magiciandamian

magiciandamian New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    does it work on the i pod touch 2g or just the i phone
  6. Phillip84

Phillip84 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yes, and you have to have 3.0 Jailbroken on your device. You can't have 3.0.1.
    I'm not sure. I only have access to iPhone 3G.
  7. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

so if you upgraded to 3.1, you wont be able to downgrade because the baseband is upgraded.
  8. Phillip84

Phillip84 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    you CAN downgrade to 3.0 from 3.1 on an iphone 3G. Thats what over half of the steps described on here do. It goes like this: official 3.1, down to official 3.0, then jailbreak 3.0, and that leaves you being able to restore to the custom 3.1 firmware file you found. All of this has to be done via itunes 8.2 and redsnow 0.8.

As far as the baseband goes...i know little about that area. These steps are simply to get a jailbroken 3.1 firmware running on the 3G.
  9. actone

actone Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thanx a million it worked FLAWLESS ...........can you say PWND iPhone 3g 3.1jb

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Phillip84

Phillip84 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thats great! I'm happy I could supply you with working intructions that worked for you!