This is frustrating lol...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by airbirdieman, Oct 23, 2009.

1. airbirdieman

airbirdieman New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm thinking there's more to just games and a few extra apps from cydia or rock for jailbreaking. Am i right? (please be yes). I'm starting to think that's all there is to jailbreaking
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What did you think Jailbreaking offered you?

What I see is, it offers you apps made by other developers who's Apps do stuff to the device like theming, tweaks, apps that Apple didn't accept because of restrictions or violation of SDK rules. It allows you more freedom on your device, like a PC kinda.
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

4. airbirdieman

airbirdieman New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yeah i know... i just thought it was simply... more things to it. i guess i was over hyped being this is my first ipod touch and everybody was so excited for the jailbreak. Now that there's finally a tethered version, i feel like all that hype was for a few extra features.
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I felt the same way. Theming becomes a chore to me and everything is still very disorganized and slow. Thats why I stopped jailbreaking. Its just too chaotic (Still).
  6. dong1225

dong1225 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Are you kidding?

I won't say that everybody would need that much stuff but Jailbreaking is essential for my iPod.

Turns iPod into a REAL procket computer by allowing: Downloads, additional file format support, access to the file structure, tweaks, (Of course you have heard of the allmighty SBSettings, that could be my sole reason for jailbreak), Command Line Interface (Mobile Terminal-Would like to see few patches) and more.
    In fact, I rarely use Winterboard except for the Supreme Settings enabling because of all the memory drain and I have to agree with Teslanaut that it is a hassle to keep it clean and good looking.

After jailbreaking, I rarely sync it to my computer.
    I download Anime videos from iTunes with YourTube add-on
    I download the comic books with Safari Download Manager and unzip them with iFile to view
    I get my musics also with Safari Download Manager and play them with dTunes.

No need to sync with my computer at all. (Except for maybe podcast but I use RSS notification and download directly from iTunes.app nowdays)

I get that Winterboard can look cool but that's just a gimmick for me. Give me file browser and CLI, I am good with that.
  7. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Those two posts above are great. Theming just becomes an annoying hassle. Half of the app store icons don't even get themed, and I can't make icons for sh*t so it looks sloppy and unorganized. Plus I have a 3GS, which means the battery life is HORRIBLE compared to earlier iDevices. I can't afford to have less battery life than I already have.

The main reason I jailbroke was GV Mobile. If that was in the app store, then I would have no reason to jailbreak (I wouldnt have Stacks, but I can live without that). Jailbreaking your iPod is overhyped because of all the people who can't live without their themes and free apps.

Jailbreaking your iPod isn't worth the potential unstability and batter drain if all you need are a few themes and some minor tweaks. If you need something essential that you can get only by jailbreaking, such as GV Mobile or MobileTerminal, then it's worth it.
  8. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    jailbreak for backgrounder, and sbsettings, and sometimes I'll use virtual memory, but I'm getting a new 3GS reaaallllllyyyyy Sooon and I'm soooo excited that I won't waste batery with virtual memory
  9. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    This. Jailbreaking isn't completely needed, like it was in the 1.x days.
  10. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I loved those 1.x.x days....I remember all were noobs but jailbreaking 1.1.1 was one of the easist jailbreaks out there =P