This is a legit question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WJZIV, Jun 26, 2009.

1. WJZIV

WJZIV New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If I were to buy a global support pack from verizon and an iphone (either 3g or 3gs), and put the sim card from the pack into the iphone (unlocked of course)...would it work? and do you think that the specific type of sim crd would make a difference? and what about roaming? thank you
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

It will not work in the U.S.

It may work overseas where Verizon is contracted with Vodafone; You would actually be getting the Vodafone services. Verizon has no agreement with T-Mobile or AT&T for GSM service in the states so their SIM card will not work in the U.S.

Anytime the "global" phone is in the U.S. it will only use the CDMA network. Overseas it is an option to use the GSM.

Hopefully that makes some sense.
  3. WJZIV

WJZIV New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    soooooo, if i got the sim card for a real verizon phone, like a blackberry or something, then it'd have that sim card PLUS whatever was already in it for american support? or am i misunderstanding?
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Not all Verizon phones use (or have) SIM cards; only the "global" phones.

While in the U.S. Verizon will only use their CDMA network and the SIM card (GSM) will not pick up on T-Mobile or at&t's network.

Honestly I have not tried this but that is based on everything I've read. Feel free to try it; just don't be surprised when it doesn't work.