this idea may be WAY crazy, but would be WAY amazing

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by mynameisBEEKMAN, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mynameisBEEKMAN

mynameisBEEKMAN Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok, so, alot of us are trying to find a [truely] free way to use SIP and VOIP, so i had this crazyt idea, that mabey ifans.com, or someone who uses it, could launch a simple SIP thingy.

i know nothing about this, so i dont want to cause anytrouble, but that would be amazing.

what do you think, is it even possible????
  2. moosemun

moosemun New Member

great!

sounds like a wonderful idea to me, but it would cost ipodtouchfans alot just to make the server and without steady donations it would most likely not be free

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. mast3rpyr0

mast3rpyr0 New Member

maybe it shouldnt be completly free but they could charge maybe 5-10$ per month and be kinda like their own phone carrier. the thing is they need more than 2 people using it to support it.

free would be nice but i would be wiling to make this my phone company if they made it.(would probbly still keep the other phone just cause wifi isnt everywhere.)
  4. iMaze

iMaze New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's a WAY bigger job than you think.
  5. mast3rpyr0

mast3rpyr0 New Member

oh im sure it is, otherwise i would have a voip server on my server.
  6. blizma

blizma New Member

Hey.

Iv looked into this, as you inspired me =D

There are many websites which sell dedicated servers setup for voip, and also i found software and tutorials. My neigbour owns vds re-seller website, so, if i talk to him while giving him a nic cup of tea, it migt be possible i could get one for free or at a very cheap price xD.

I dont know that much about voip. But, if this would be a success, and i take time to follow instructions to set this up, could anyone whom i give an account to be able to use this service aslong as they have a wifi connection?

EDIT:

Forgot to post websites

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk Linux Ubuntu <--- INFO
    http://www.asterisk.org/
    http://www.ixcall.net/?q=book/print/27 <--- SetUp INFO
    http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/voip/ <--- Live cd versions ready to use.... But this means a pc would have to be constantly on.. Remote Virtual Desktop (or server with root axx) could be a solution
  7. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I would be willing to contribute to a IPTF voip server. I find voipcheap works 'ok' from home, and not at all at work. I sent them some cash, so I want to see if it improves the performace when I am a paying customer.
  8. trialnterror

trialnterror New Member

that would be great
  9. mynameisBEEKMAN

mynameisBEEKMAN Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

WOW, nice work on finding that info. this may be easier than we thought, all we need is a really nice server, and $400 for the CD! (yea, i kow that still is a lot of money...)

but this just me be able to work!
  10. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.