This better not be Apple kicking my butt...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Yoshi and Roy, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Yoshi and Roy

Yoshi and Roy New Member

So I haven't had any problems recently connecting my iPod Touch to iTunes. All of a sudden, I can plug in my iPot, and iTunes doesn't respond. The iPod shows it's charging, but it does nothing in iTunes. Why does iTunes hate me so?
  2. Rdude

Rdude Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ya my iPoT does that too, but when I open up iTunes it appears.
  3. Yoshi and Roy

Yoshi and Roy New Member

Well, you can close this thread, I fixed the problem...just not in the typical fashion. I reinstalled iTunes somewhere near 8 times and swore repetatively at it and it randomly recognized my iPot and everything synced up. Weird.
  4. setix

setix Member

quick question. what usb port were you plugging your ipot into? if it is a keyboard usb port on macs, it just isnt receiving enough power to locate the touch, if it is on the pc itself, i would try other ports as to makesure you dont have a short.
  5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I'd second that. Unpowered USB ports have to draw their power from the computer they are plugged into. Since the port they are plugged into can only provide 500mA of power, then that's how much total power you have to spend on all 4 (or 7 or whatever) ports on that unpowered hub, and if you have other things plugged into that hub, it's a sure bet the iPoT isn't getting enough power to do its thing. Powered hubs (this includes the ports on your computer itself) can provide up 500mA on each port (depending on the strength of its AC adapter; most give about 2A which is enough for 500mA to each of 4 ports). I don't know how much the iPoT draws, but I'm willing to bet it's happiest with the full 500mA.

Also, if your ports are only USB 1.1, they only provide a max of 200mA.