iOS 3.1 Thinking about jailbreaking....

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by viperGTS, Dec 18, 2009.

1. viperGTS

viperGTS Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I know, a little hypocritical on my part(read my posts), but i think i might try jailbreaking. But i have some questions....
    1. If i decide i dont like the jailbreak, can i restore via itunes and use a previous backup i made and have my iPod go back to its original settings as if i had never jailbroke it? And will i need to set it up as a brand new iPod if so?
    2. Does itunes need to be opened while i use Blackra1n?
    3. Will all my "accounts" for stuff like eliminate and epic pet wars be erased? Provided i restore?
    4. If i do a DFU restore if i dont like it, is it still possible apple will be able to track the jailbreak and not warrant the iPod?
    5. Will the battery loss be significant or minor?
    6. What should i install after jailbreaking, as in Icy, Cydia, or Rock?
    7. What are some programs you guys and girls reccommend after jailbreaking? I've heard of some stuff like SBSettings, winterboard, and it confuses me

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Would it be better just to wait for an untethered jailbreak?

Sorry for all of my questions, but any help would be appreciated! Jailbreaking seems like fun though so i though i'd try for a bit

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. nitsua93

nitsua93 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    [QOUTE]1. If i decide i dont like the jailbreak, can i restore via itunes and use a previous backup i made and have my iPod go back to its original settings as if i had never jailbroke it? And will i need to set it up as a brand new iPod if so?[/QOUTE]
    Restoring from a back-up made from a jailbroken device will still remove any jailbreak data.

[QOUTE]2. Does itunes need to be opened while i use Blackra1n?[/QUOTE]
    I didn't have it opened when I did it
    As long as you restore from a back-up no app data will be erased.

Apple can't track the jailbreak. If you DFU restore it will un-void your warranty.

For me, it was minor.

Cydia is the BEST apt installer. Rock sucks. Icy is good but shouldn't be used as a replacement for cydia. Icy can be used for quick installations and un-installations.

Just do a search. Many people have asked before and the list is very long.

Only if you hate having to re-jailbreak every time you turn off your 3G iPod Touch. 3G iPod touch and iPhone 3gs are currently the only tethered jailbreaks.
  3. viperGTS

viperGTS Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks for replying! For the 1st question though i meant restoring from a backup i made before jailbreaking. So a clean backup with no jailbreak data from the 1st place. Will i have to set the iPod up as a brand new one? I right clicked and chose "Back Up" so will that one be used when i restore?
  4. omegus100

omegus100 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You don't have to set it up as a new one. Just restore from the backup that you made and you're good.