Thinking about getting an iPod touch, need some info

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by H4X37, Mar 28, 2009.

1. H4X37

H4X37 New Member

Hello people.

I was thinking of getting an iPod touch but have a few questions.

1.) If I were to go to the store today and buy a new iPod touch, how easy would it be to jailbreak it? Is there any downsides to jailbreaking?

2.) If I do jailbreak can I still purchase apps from the store?

3.) I'm an avid netflix user, is it easy to decrypt/rip a DVD and put it on an iPod touch without too much effort?

4.) How does the file system work? If I got the NES emulator app, would I put roms onto it from iTunes or somthing?

5.) How does iTunes work? Once you buy something, does it stay with your account or do you have to re-buy if the music files are deleted?

6.) How far does python get? I know you can get 2.5 on it, but can it access the device's librarys and hardware to make apps?

Thanks a lot if you read all of that

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. DNJ45

DNJ45 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1.) It would be really easy to jailbreak your iPod. It only takes about 10 minutes. And no, there definitly aren't any downsides to jailbreaking, it only makes your iPod better. If you don't like it (which you probably will), you can always restore.

2.) Yes, you can buy apps from the App Store and update them too from either the iPod or iTunes.

3.) That's not legal so I'm not going to answer that.

4.) No, you have to SSH into your iPod and access the file system, and put it into a folder. It's pretty easy and theirs a lot of guides on here to help you.

5.) You don't have to re-purchase anything from iTunes if you already brought it.

6.) Not sure what that is, try Google.

Hope I helped, and I highly recommend you get an iPod, you won't regret it.
  3. TheTerminator

TheTerminator New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1.) If I were to go to the store today and buy a new iPod touch, how easy would it be to jailbreak it? Is there any downsides to jailbreaking?

Very easy. Programs like QuickFreedom and redTool exist to jailbreak in under 30 minutes. There are only upsides to jailbreak.

2.) If I do jailbreak can I still purchase apps from the store?

Of course, Plus you get: Cydia Store and Installer.

3.) I'm an avid netflix user, is it easy to decrypt/rip a DVD and put it on an iPod touch without too much effort?

Try CloneDVD mobile

4.) How does the file system work? If I got the NES emulator app, would I put roms onto it from iTunes or somthing?

You can SSH it wirelessly or use DiskAid which uses the USB cable.

5.) How does iTunes work? Once you buy something, does it stay with your account or do you have to re-buy if the music files are deleted?

You don't have to rebuy things that you've bought already.

6.) How far does python get? I know you can get 2.5 on it, but can it access the device's librarys and hardware to make apps?

I think that Xcode and Cocoa are used for apps. Not sure about Python.