Thinking about getting a Time Capsule, any advice or similar products?

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by ChronicFunk, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ChronicFunk

ChronicFunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I need a new router as the current one I have sucks incredibly, and at the same time, I want an external harddrive for backing up data. So obviously I'm looking at a Time Capsule. Now, can anyone who owns one give me advice or can someone tell me about a similar, cheaper product?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    any external hard drive will backup, so i suggest those. and i would suggest linksys routers, i have had good experiences with all my routers from them. but keep in mind it might be the internet connection and not the router.
  3. ChronicFunk

ChronicFunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, this is the most powerful Linksys router available and it's spec's are the exact same of that of the Time Capsule and it's price is $190. The ony thing it doesn't have is the harddrive for backing up. Now, a 500gb external harddrive is going to run me about $105 USD. And if you add those up, is comes to around $320 with a 6% tax. If I go buy a Time Capsule, it will be $316.94 with a 6% tax. So I think I have my mind made up after a little research.
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'm thinking about getting one. I can't seem to find a good external drive that lasts more then six months. Plus I'm using my mini as a wireless router and it has not been turned off or even whent into sleep mode in about 2 years

Please Register or Log in to view images

It needs a rest bad!
  5. ChronicFunk

ChronicFunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh, wow! 2 years! Well, I don't use my home computer, the rest of my family does, but the sucker is on 24/7 and has been for the last 5 years! But anyways, I only have a g router and I download a lot

and I want my wireless connect to be faster. And at the same time, I've been wanted another harddrive to hold all my data I can't fit on my MacBook's 160gb hd. So in my position, a Time Capsule is the best route to go in.
  6. Jevers

Jevers New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    hey i have the same prob, these rest of the house is pcs and i am mac and somehow i cant get the shared pc printer on my mac so i might get a time capsule to do back ups as well, i would get it could be quite useful
  7. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yeah, it looks like a Time Capsule is your best bet. A friend of mine owns one, and he says that it was easy to set up and the backing up time is decent. (Although he said the initial backup took a LONG time, as it would for any first backup, so be prepared.)
  8. ChronicFunk

ChronicFunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The damn thing is faster than hell! But maybe that's just because it's an upgrade from a g router. I love it so far. Have not did initial backup yet but will before I go to bed.
  9. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Haha. My friend got his a while ago and I know they've done some updates to improve speed both with the capsule and time machine, so maybe your initial backup will be faster. I don't really know my friend's specs or yours, but her iMac's hard drive was pretty filled with her video editing so that'll change things.

10. ChronicFunk

ChronicFunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm already having problems though. I can't get my home desktop PC to connect to the internet. The wireless works though, really good I might say. But now, my parents will wake up in the morning and not be able to check their e-mail and other things. This sucks. I don't know what the problem is. I've tried everything.