Thinking about an iPhone..Have some questions!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RoYaLx, Mar 25, 2009.

1. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Here is the story. I am 15, and have a sort-of strict mother. Also, I want an iPhone in the worst way

Please Register or Log in to view images

. Currently, I want to replace my Samsung Eternity (Not even a year old...). The device got wet, so the speaker is giving me problems, and I do not want to get it replaced. It is a decent phone, but the iPhone is a step up. But I have some questions...

First of all, I am locked in a 2 year contract with AT&T

1. If I got an iPhone tomorrow, how much more would I be charged monthly for the iPhone data plan? Does it differ from the 3G amount (Believe it is $30). Does this plan include unlimited internet/data usage?
    2. What will be included with OS 3.0 for the iPhone that the iPod Touch (currently own a 2G) will not have?
    3. If it broke (see above), how much would it cost to get new parts for the device (Not including labor fees, I am a whiz when it comes to fixing electronics)?
    4. In general, is it worth it? Where can I get one at a good price (preferably under $250)?

Please help me here. I am trying to be persuasive as possible, and might show it to my mother, so please give supportive answers.
  2. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have no idea, about the cost, but if it got broken then you would have to call apple, and if you still have a guarranty, they would pick it up, then you would have to wait about 3 weeks or so, and then puff, its back on your home.
    Just one question, if you already own a iPT2g why do you want an iphone?, you could just stick your not so old phone to the back a of the pod!!
  3. Achy9

Achy9 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    1. The data plan is $30 per iPhone. It is unlimited data/internet.
    2. Not sure.
    3. It depends. You'll have a 1 year warranty starting the day you buy the phone, which covers everything I believe.
    If for whatever reason you don't, the LCD screen is the most expensive to replace (I think) at ~$100-150.
    4. It is totally worth it. The 8GB iPhone 3G is $199 with a new contract, and the 16GB is $299. Your best bet would be craigslist or eBay if you're looking for a used one.
  4. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think but im not sure that if you dont already own an iPhone or are not a new customer then you dont get much of a discount. It think its the same as the last iPhone then.
  5. dette

dette New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yes it is $30 a month just like the normal 3G/Internet package for all Smartphones
    The iPhone OS 3.0 will bring Push notifications anywhere so with a 3G connection that will be amazing!, MMS for the iPhone, and I believe there are a couple others that are iPhone only and not iPod Touch but I am to tired to think of them

If it broke.. It would depend on how it broke.. If it was a problem with the phone like the screen stopped working then Apple will replace it (Assuming you bought the iPhone from AT&T or Apple.. You get a 1 year warranty unless you purchase Apple Care which bumps it up to 2 years), but if it dropped in the water or something then your on your own I believe.. It is not insurance just a warranty.
    Is it worth it? Hell yeah! I came from Sprint with an HTC Touch Pro Windows Mobile 6.1 phone and I love this iPhone to death! I am 16 so I know where you are at, I also am a huge technology geek and I used to write ROM's (Custom Operating System's) for Windows Mobile phones (Edit more then write

), the iPhone is very 'easy' to do everything which is nice but the geek part of me wants a challenge.
    But yes it is worth it.. As long as you have funds to pay for the insane plan costs then it is most definitely worth it. If you want it and you can get it.. Get it!
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Not sure if you want my opinion; but I'll give it anyway

If I were in your shoes I would look for good used 2G iPhone and here's why:

1. I'm not sure what plan you have now and I am unfamiliar with your Samsung Eternity but if you got a 2G you can use a basic data plan and not be charged the extra for having an iPhone (however, don't tell AT+T what you're using). The main reason I suggest the 2G is that AT+T doesn't seem to care if you use the iPhone on any plan; I had zero issues with them doing so. As soon as I switched to the 3G I got numerous emails and text messages basically telling me to quit using the 3G or I would be charged. I was going to add the 3G to my plan but they would not give it to me without doing a contract.

2. This is the one downside; the 3.0 software seems to be geared toward the 3G. I would bet that someone will get most everything to work on the 2G after the 3.0 software is released but you might not get everything immediately.

3. I have not priced out the 3G parts but the most you would spend to repair a 2G is $200. The $200 is if you take a broken (any kind of broke) 2G to an Apple Store they will replace it for $200. If you're good with electronics look for a 2G with a cracked screen and replace it yourself. I've picked up two 2G's with broken screens for less than $100. The new screen costs around $115 or so but it might be an option for you. If you got a 3G you could get the Apple Care for $60 and extend the warranty for 3 years (kind of nice if you're hard on phones).

4. You're not going to find a 3G for less than $250 (unless you get really lucky or it is stolen).

Not exactly sure if that helps out but I figured I'd share.
  7. dette

dette New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You make a good point.
    I like my 3G because I use GPS and I love the data speeds and I needed to get into a contract with AT&T anyways lol
    But yes a 2G is a very good option if you wanna save money and not extend your contract!