[Think Tank] Enabling CPU Frequency Scaling.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jimbeam, Jun 25, 2010.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Lets get this out of the way first, I know the risks fully, battery life, hot phone, imploding phone, end of the world.... yadaa yadda.... I'm willing to take the risks so please don't post if all you want to do is tell me how much of a bad idea this is. We know changing the name of "PowerManagement.bundle" or deleting it doesn't do anything so please don't bring that up.

We know apple uped the CPU frequency in 1.1.2 from 400MHz to 412MHz, so it's doable via software in the original iphone and ipod touch, lets figure out how they did it and how we can do it.

The 1st gen ipod touch, iphone and iphone 3G CPU is capable in running at 677Mhz, I think 528Mhz would be safe and stable enough for daily use and not put to much of a strain on battery. I have my mytouch 3G set to 528mhz max and 245 mhz min and it runs fine with no real battery loss. MyTouch and original iphone/ipodtouch/3G share a similar CPU.

So lets figure this out... finally. I'm a noob at this, but I have an iPhone 3G running 4.0 I'm willing to sacrifice, just point me in the direction.
  2. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'd yell at you, but you have 3,000 posts, so I'mma support you on this

Please Register or Log in to view images

This has been attempted, on a thread somewhere here. If someone finds it, we could save ourselves some research.

EDIT:

Good behold, it seems it was already done. I only read the first page. I gotta go. So yeah.

hawtlink. Click me.
  3. ThatGEEKFreak

ThatGEEKFreak Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Thread has nothing to do with overclocking (at least it doesn't really work is what I'm getting at)
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    @cocacola, that doesn't work. CPU stays the same.
  5. Hackey_Sack

Hackey_Sack New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think he intended it as a jumping-off point. Sort of a, "Don't try this, it doesn't work, but we can build on it!"
  6. Gtamario

Gtamario Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Why would you want to overclock it?
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Okay. We know that file is just power managment. Tells the system what to do in different situations. Dim screen before sleep and so on.

_Wake On Clamshell Open_Sleep On Power Button_Display Sleep Uses Dim_Mobile Motion Module_Reduce Processor SpeedYGPUSwitch^Hibernate File[Wake On LAN_Wake On Modem Ring_Disk Sleep Timer_System Sleep Timer^Hibernate Mode_Display Sleep Timer_Dynamic Power Step_TTYSPreventSleep_Wake On AC Change_ReduceBrightness_Automatic Restart On Power Loss
  8. R&S

R&S Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Changing the clock speed on an iPod touch was accmomplished a long time ago. Maybe it was the iPhone; I can hardly remember the details now.

Scroll about halfway down this page from the archives to see my post on the subject from July 2, 2009.
  10. Hexane

Hexane New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Now.. Lay off it until Planet Being pulls it off (As he told me he was going to do via flashing a modded img3 of iboot like logome..)