Think about this before you jailbreak your v1.1.1 iPod touch

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by rhmyuen, Oct 31, 2007.

1. rhmyuen

rhmyuen New Member

Seems like my question in this thread

How does the Restore work? If the Restore is restoring from the Apple site, does that mean a jailbroken v1.1.1 iPod Touch will never be able to restore back to the un-jailbreak state at the time when v1.1.2 is available at the Apple site?

doesn't have a definite answer. I read somewhere in this forum that there is a way to download the v1.1.1 firmware but there was no link provided. Even with the v1.1.1 firmware on hand, is there a way to restore with that downloaded firmware?

Should we un-jailbreak our v1.1.1 iPod touch before the v1.1.2 firmware comes out?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. phroztbyt3

phroztbyt3 New Member

If your that worried, the way to do save a restore file to use to restore is to press restore in itunes when plugged in. On the left side there will be download progress for that image, wait until 100% of it is downloaded, then x out of it or close itunes... and find that file.. you can use that later to restore fresh.

I personally believe that Apple has given up on bricking.. they will have WAYY too many lawsuits and people complaining. Viva la resistance. They know ther
    is know way to stop modders, and its not illegal (because its 3rd party software that is free).

-Phrozt
  3. RedRoo

RedRoo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  4. opsguy

opsguy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So does anyone know how to do a manual restore?

Now that we have the link and the 1.1.1 firmware how do we get it restored on the device?

Please don't say use iTunes because that does not work.

Thanks
  5. kamillark

kamillark New Member

restoring is easy
    this should be on another forum but here are the steps for a guarenteed restore any problems just post in this thread

1. Turn iPod Touch OFF completely.
    2. Plug iPod Touch into PC/MAC while still of.
    3. Turn iPod touch on, then IMMEDIATELY do the following steps \/
    4. Hold the 'Home button' and 'sleep/wake' button together for atleast 5 seconds.
    5. The Apple logo will appear
    6. When this happens release the 'sleep/wake' button BUT KEEP HOLD OF 'HOME' BUTTON
    7. Your iPod will reboot (Apple logo)
    6. iTunes will recognise iPod in 'Recovery mode'
    8. You will be able to 'restore' your iPod Touch now
  6. tomcatt1

tomcatt1 New Member

I used iTunes this morning to restore my Touch. It works. I just connected to the computer, hit restore in iTunes, and it restored it to like new.
  7. RedRoo

RedRoo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i think the question was how to restore to 1.1.1 firmware once the new firmare comes out and iTunes starts insisting on updating to it during restore process.
    Its a good question but i dont think anyone has a clear answer yet...
  8. compygeek

compygeek New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, IMHO, if you wanted to update to firmware 1.1.2 but still remain jailbroke, then I would hold off on the update until confirmation of a working jailbreak app exists and works. Just cancel the option to update firmware when it comes up on iTunes.

Theoretically however, if you do have 1.1.2 and want to restore to 1.1.1, doing a full restore with the downloaded update should work. Just make sure you place the update in the appropriate folder for iTunes to find and I would probably disconnect your internet connection incase iTunes want's to look for a newer version first before using the 1.1.1 file.

Of course, this is all in theory as 1.1.2 is not out, so there's really no way to try it.
  9. CaptChill

CaptChill New Member

Go to iTunes preferences and uncheck the box which says "Check for updates automatically" . This way you can update at your own will.
  10. locutusjay

locutusjay New Member

how to manually restore

if you want to manually restore download the firmware update by doing a normal restore first. Get the file which on a win computer is located at c:\documents and settings\youruserprofile\application data\apple computer\itunes\iPod software updates
    copy the firmware file from there. To manually restore disable automatic downloads. When you are ready to restore hod down the shift key and click restore in iTunes. A browse dialog comes up. Browse to your firmware and install it totally bypassing the new install. This works for mac too but I think you use the ctrl key. If the shift doesn't work on the pc try the ctrl key. One of those is the one. I used this twice when the jailbreak had problems this week.