Things Apple NEEDS To Do to be called a Game Device.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LXZ, Sep 25, 2009.

1. LXZ

LXZ New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So after the Touch came out without a camera, and everyone had a few days of mourning... I have some things that need to be done ... or well... I'm just going to be left feeling under whelmed with my expensive hardware.

Cleaning up the App Store.
    So Jobs has called the Touch a game device, so split the "Touch Games" from the App Store.. give us a Game Store. Sure, leave the puzzle games and what not on the App Store (most of which are crap, and should be free), and only allow quality publishers into the Game Store. And then Jobs.. and only then can you go and compare how many titles there are on the platform vs. PSP and DS.

Why? because I can homebrew DS easy to play ANY flash game, and all sorts of other junk, and I'm sure I can do the same with the PSP(never tried).
    And all that is free, all these puzzle games, board games, and whatever else .. are not games - they are short time consumers meant for the same thing Snake was meant for on the old Nokias. Most of which I could load onto the DS for free in flash form or something another.. so that just boosted the crap content for the DS and probably the PSP .. So just because you can put crap on something don't make it valid content.

Apple, make a controller attachment.
    Something, come up with something.
    Its needed, and don't charge over $20 for the damn thing.
    I do not want third party junk, I want an official controller dock, something you put the Touch in and it'll make it about as big as the PSP... and should have a better battery in it.

I welcome the Touch as a game device, I love Need For Speed Undercover, and a few other games such as Trace, and Bounce. I also love Paper Toss, all of which are on totally different levels.

Need For Speed is a quality game, and I have spent hours playing it.
    Trace and Bounce are slightly less quality, but because of their innovative format and fact that they are touch specific makes them amazing games to actually play for longer than a few minutes.
    Paper Toss is a perfect example of how others should be, its a fun time waster and a basic mobile game.. and IS FREEEEEE.

Also, just a few quick ideas.

Guitar Hero wants to come to the touch, I suggest finding a way to offer a Guitar controller.. the DS did.. so figure that out and no one will question your "gaming title".

Don't come out with a new hardware enhancement for graphics next year, this puts developers on pins and needles, they need something to make games for and do not need to be making 2 or more versions of the same game for different versions of the same platform.

The iPod Touch 1G and 2G are not game devices persay, but the 3G is. So you can get away with making quality games just for the new hardware.. but if you come out wit something new in the next year that makes the 3G's gaming hardware obsolete your asking for more people to just get pissed and stick to DS and PSP.

And one last note on the "game store" idea.. Games should never exceed the $15 mark as to keep the Touch on a whole new playing field. Srsly.. it should be a rule to cap there.
  2. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

Things Apple won't do because things are working (profitable) for them as it is:

- Sadly, everything you've suggested

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. theLorax

theLorax Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I think putting restrictions on the app store is a bad idea. Sure, there are some junky apps, but having it open to all developers gives us the selection the zune HD owners badly wish they had, and all the competition keeps the prices of the apps low. Hence all the good games that are under $4.

It's not hard to read reviews, watch youtube videos, and try demo versions to find out if it sucks or if it's good.

The controller attachment will never happen (at least from apple), maybe an unsupported 3rd party, but i think if that was possible it would have already happened.

Apple has always been a company that focuses on the aesthetics and appearance of their product. Attaching a controller to the iPod would hurt its portability and sleekness, I just dont see Apple doing that. Certain games that need physical buttons are best left to the PSP and DS.
  4. Crushader

Crushader New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Don't expect anything cheap from Apple
  5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Lol, i know theyre just your suggestions, but the way youre writing makes it seem as if you expect Apple to be reading this

Please Register or Log in to view images

if anything, email this to Apple. I doubt theyll do anything though
  6. LXZ

LXZ New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yes, but I had the thoughts in my head and figured I would throw them out there.. Theres always that .. how you say 0.000000000001% chance ;]

I did not say add restrictions, I said split the "real games" from the "app games". And prices can not stay under $4 for real games.. it is in all truth hurting the market.

If a game developer (even if they are interested in the platform alot) decides to develop a game for the DS and Touch. The DS one they will know will pull in large profit, and the touch will pull in lower profit.. thus meaning they might decide to no even worry with, or will rush it with a "mobile version" as we have seen many times. Now of course there will be the few that understand the cheaper you make something the more volume you will move .. but most of the world overlooks that fact.

As for the controller, you are right.. Apple does focus on that. But in all honesty, w/o a controller Steve Jobs needs to recant his game device statement.

I am thinking about it. I posted these here because I wanted to share them with everyone and see who else agreed, or just see if I was a blooming idiot with pipe dreams. ;]
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Just because Apple calls it a gaming device doesn't mean it is the kind you are thinking of. Like the Wii, Apple is using it to go after casual gamers. If you want an actual gaming device, go pick up a PSPgo.
  8. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sony's PSP and the Nintendo DS has NONE of those. Your argument is invalid.
  9. LXZ

LXZ New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch

Yes, but even the Wii has good games.. and buttons for that matter.
    I do not really care to play Halo for hours on end, or get deep involved in some RPG.. I like racing games and would like to see more like NFS.
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Then you are probably in luck. I'm wiling to bet that we will see a remote control for the device come out pretty soon. But that is it. The whole 'gaming device' idea is only for one part of the market. Casual gamers (tetris, Mario, some racing games, pong), not for big titles (even though the big titles are still coming.