There's still hope for Flash on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by freemini, Oct 5, 2009.

1. freemini

freemini Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Well as you may know by now, Adobe just announced Flash Player 10.1 for "just about anything with a screen,webOS and WinMo"(1). While they said that they are working on flash for iPhone about one year ago, they are still working on it:"Adobe said that they are still working to make the Flash Player compatible on the iPhone OS, but are hindered by limitations within the platform.". I think Apple wants a full version of flash on the iPhone as they already said one year ago(2):"Flash Lite works, but it's incompatibility with many sites makes it useless and Flash full works too slow to be useful."(2) So that was before the iPhone 3G S. I think the 3GS can handle Flash 9 or even 10. Even the PSP handles Flash 7 with 32mb RAM(for phat).. I think they might release it in 4.0 or at least say anything about the progress..

Source for (1):http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/05/adobe-flash-player-initiative-for-smartphones-launched-but-iphone-not-included/
    Source for (2):http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q108-why-is-apple-stalling-flash-on-the-iphone/
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Adobe Announces Flash Support for iPhone (But Only for Apps)

October 5th, 2009 | by Ben Parr12 Comments and 233 Reactions

Earlier today, Adobe revealed Flash Player 10.1 for smartphones, the company’s fastest and most efficient form of flash for mobile phones yet. Android, Symbian, Windows Mobile, webOS, BlackBerry…all of these phones will support Flash Player 10.1 by mid-2010. But the iPhone was nowhere to be found.

The problem: Adobe and Apple have been playing a painful game that has resulted in a lack of Flash support for red-hot smartphone. Apple doesn’t seem enthusiastic about adding Flash support, Adobe isn’t pushing hard enough. But at the Adobe MAX Conference, the rich Internet application software company announced support for Flash. Sort of.

It’s actually a new addition to Adobe Flash Professional CS5. Adobe has added the ability for Flash developers to export their work into iPhone app format, without the need to rebuild the entire app from scratch. You could soon see your favorite Flash games and web apps in the iTunes App Store.

The announcement is a great one for developers who have had to rebuild code to make their apps iPhone-friendly. However, this does nothing to place Flash inside the iPhone Safari (Safari) browser. Until this happens, we won’t be satisfied. Flash is a core component of the web. Hopefully Apple realizes this sometime soon.
  3. brownbox

brownbox New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    meh im not holding my breath...
  4. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What jpga posted is awsome, you could get your favorite game decompile it and recompile it for iPhone....

Is CS5 out yet??
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The day they bring flash to the iPhone is the day the the iPhone becomes a giant piece of worthless crap. Why would you want flash? So you can wait an extra ten minutes for a site to load? Maybe you like playing flash games that require a KEYBOARD and MOUSE. Possibly you think you are not seeing enough ads that jump out in front of whatever you're doing online and force you to click a tiny x--an x that you will invariably miss because they are already too small on the giant box as it is.

Flash needs to die on all systems. If I have to "Skip Intro" another web page... Flash was wool in 1996. Now it's nothing more than an advertising method for embedding popups within the webpage. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Also, I can't wait for CS5 to come out. There aren't nearly enough worthless fail applications in the AppStore as it is.
  6. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You hate Flash on computers to?...

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Absolutely. I thought that was apparent by reading my reasoning above. I hate Flash in all forms.
  8. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    HTML5 is already supported in mobile safari and it can already do alot of what can be done in Flash. Eventually it will replace flash completely. HTML 5's goal is to move the Web away from proprietary technologies such as Adobe Flash, Microsoft Silverlight, JavaFX. All the web heavyweights are backing it and helping with its development Apple, Google, and Mozilla.

Apple has a big active hand in HTML5, so it only makes sence for them not to want flash on the iPhone.
  9. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I wish everyone would read this post.
  10. Mr.Funman

Mr.Funman Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    do you mean flash like camera flash or flash like Adobe Flash???