There is a new setting in 1.1.2.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kitren2, Nov 14, 2007.

1. kitren2

kitren2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I found it in the settings.app and it says network and when you click on it it says VPN and Wifi, waht is VPN and how do i configure it?
  2. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It is a Virtual Private Network. If your router does not have VPN, don't bother with that setting at all.
  3. kitren2

kitren2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    mmkay (10 charcter limit)
  4. tomdude126

tomdude126 New Member

I have that at 1.1.1
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

that is a side effect of installing the iPhone Apps.
  6. kitren2

kitren2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    oh i used davids way to automaticly get them.
  7. emed795

emed795 New Member

VPN (Virtual Private Network) is used to create an encrypted tunnel over the internet between two endpoints. It’s useful for when you want to ensure that ensure something remains secure even over an insecure medium like the Internet.

Say for example you want connect to some open wifi connection to check your e-mail or browse the web. Since traffic is sent out in the clear anyone can intercept that traffic (especially over wifi) and see your e-mail or actively track where you go on the Internet. However, with VPN an encrypted tunnel is setup in this case between your iPod and a VPN server which would be some computer back on your own home network. All traffic that is sent through that tunnel remains secure even if it is going over someone else’s wifi network.

The iPod Touch supports only two flavors of VPN PPTP with MS-CHAP v2 and L2TP/IPSec with shared secret plus MS-CHAP v2. It dose not support OpenVPN with its SSL style VPN tunnel. (I really wish it would so that I could use my router as the VPN Server endpoint)

I've actually played around with the feature a little and it can take a bit of trial and error to setup. If you have Windows Vista (any version) or XP Professional you can have it act as VPN Server (for only one connection at a time) and connect to it using the iPod over PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol). Yes, I know PPTP is not the most secure but its ease of setup and the fact that it’s built right into XP and Vista counts for something, right? On a more serious note, I believe the only major weakness of PPTP is that it doesn’t have any way ensuring that the computer attempting to connect to it is really is authorized to do so (i.e. no machine certificates or pre-shared secrets) to prove the identity of the actual computer and it only relies on the user name and password for authentication. Also, another inherent weakness with PPTP is that it is susceptible to brute force attack if you don't chose a good strong password. Given that this VPN would be would be for home use to maintain privacy while out on the Internet in public places I don’t think it would matter much as long as you take the necessary precations.

Though, for the paranoid who happen to Windows Home Server ( or just access to Server 2003) you can take advantage of the fact that it is really Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server and leverage its VPN server capabilities to establish a L2TP/IPSec (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol/IP Security) tunnel, which way more secure then PPTP in that it not only verifies the user’s identity through login credential but also the computer identity either through a machine certificate (preferred but not supported on the iPod Touch) or a pre-shared secrete (just “secret” on the iPod Touch). In other words in order to logon to the VPN a person would not only need your login credentials but also you iPod Touch as well (or at least its secret).

If there is enough interest I was considering doing a tutorial on how to set all this up.
  8. s4shanonly

s4shanonly New Member

sounds interesting... pm the tutorial for me... or place a link here itself

Thanks in advance

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Poffel

Poffel New Member

ptpp and l2tp are useless to me, my university only supports openvpn and cisco-ipsec.
    i don't get it why the touch don't support openvpn. the code is public, isn't it?
  10. aborson

aborson New Member

Where is that ? I cant find it on ym ipod?