There are no acceptable PDF viewers for 2.x.x

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by leoho5, Dec 1, 2008.

1. leoho5

leoho5 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Every app store app that has PDF reader seems to use the same native apple PDF viewer which is not adequate for many applications. The biggest problem is that it doesn't zoom adequately. You only get a 200% magnification which is not enough to read PDF maps or small text. Secondly, there is a problem with loading speeds. Even simple PDF's take a long time to load and drag. There are a couple Jailbreak 2.x.x PDF viewers but they use the same crappy native apple PDF viewer.

PDFViewer for 1.x.x although not perfect (no bookmarks, next page button, or page scrolling), was much faster in loading and dragging PDF's and it had a much better zoom. You could zoom in as much as you wanted. It seemed to be the only PDF reader that didn't use the native apple viewer. Can someone please port this program to 2.x.x? Or can someone make a decent jailbreak PDF reader with good zooming and load times? I would pay for a good program.
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You are correct - there are no decent pdf viewers for the iPod Touch and iPhone on 2.* f/ws. The best I think is RuBooks but in my view the only really viable way to read pdfs on your device it to convert them to a format that iComic can recognise - i.e. a compressed zip archive of jpeg images. You can find many .pdf to .jpeg converter progs on the internet and once converted it's a simple job of zipping the images up and transferring via SSH to your device. You can then view these converted .pdfs in iComic and it will handle large size high resolution files at decent sped and has the ability to zoom up to 4x.

PM me if you have further questions.
  3. Reilly

Reilly New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    stanza is free and I think it can read pdf files. but you have to sync via it's own app on your desktop