Theory - Re: "Frozen Apple Logo" Problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dave C, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Dave C

Dave C New Member

After several restores, I'm now convinced it was due to a faulty app...
    I'm thinking one of the free ones and/or 'lite' versions.
    What I'd like to do to test this theory, is compare a list of apps that all of us who had this 'frozen apple logo' shared.

So I'll start:
    Quitter (yeah, I just quit smoking) - MixMeister Scrach
    iConverter - Pear Me
    15 Puzzle - Hanoi
    Earth 3d - Edu Blaster
    Fire Drop - DizzyBee Free
    IGN Review - Scribble
    Carrie's Dots - Cubes lite
    Subway shuffle lite - Crossword puzzle lite
    Kugon lite - iDoodle2lite

Please note: I am not blaming any application in particular as I have no proof, this is simply a theory (and maybe a last resort to keep my sanity).
    I would be very interested to hear if anyone else who has this problem had one of these apps....
  2. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    It's not any applications. If you are stuck on the apple logo, it just means you aren't waiting enough. My iPod takes 2-5 minutes to boot up. Yes it's a long time, and the reason why booting up takes up so much battery. Most of the time, if you're stuck on the apple logo, it means that some system file won't boot correctly, if you edited Springboard.app, or another required thing like Fairplayz. These can cause you to get stuck on the boot logo. Just a heads up.
  3. CurlyCarlos

CurlyCarlos New Member

I don't exactly follow this list thing you made... and congratulations on quitting smoking.
  4. Dave C

Dave C New Member

Frozen Apple logo for me means even if I wait 10-20 minutes (which I have done), it does not boot.

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
    I agree that it's likely something to do with a system file not booting properly, but at the same time, I'm on 2.0.1, and have never jailbroken my Touch, so it's not due to any editing...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    The list I made is simply all the free apps I used to have that I'm wondering if anyone else who has the same frozen apple logo problem has.
    Just trying to see if it's maybe, just maybe due to one of these apps...

And thanks for the congrats...toughest thing I've ever done in my life. That's a mind trip and a half!
  5. Fehr

Fehr New Member

What's not to follow? Just read it.

In any case, I don't think the boot logo problems are caused by Applications. I don't think Apple would allow such an Application to pass. They check to see that it doesn't in any way harm your iPod by using it. That I'm sure of. Apple wouldn't be so ignorant as to let an Application harm their own products.

Applications should be no less safe if they are used on a jailbroken iPod rather than a non-jailbroken one.

Of course, that's just my theory.
  6. I agree.
    Here are the apps you listed that I have:

iConverter
    Pear Me
    Fire Drop
    IGN Review
    Carrie's Dots
    Cubes lite
    Crossword puzzle lite
    iDoodle2lite
  7. Dave C

Dave C New Member

I hear you, and would also like to think that Apple would be so ignorant as you politely put it, to allow these apps to mess with their product.
    However.....let's get real. They just released 2.0, and something like 6 weeks later released 2.0.1 because of bugs...so I'm thinking in their rush to make more money, meh, what's the big deal if a few people's Touch's/iPhones get messed up.
    Of course, it could simply be 2.0 or 2.0.1, but since I don't really have a choice but to be on one of those, I'm hoping it's the apps!

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  8. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Well it still can't be the applications. The iPhone SDK doesn't let applications start up automatically besides the system apps. It also doesn't allow the application to view/use anything outside the application itself. It might be that your iPod is messed up, or you are on a beta version of 2.0.1, but it is unlikely.

Weird that all these iPods are crashing on boot. Have you tried emailing apple support??? The have like the best solutions for these kinds of things, knowing that these support teams know the product better than anyone else.
  9. Dave C

Dave C New Member

Right on dude! Now we're getting somewhere!!
    Anyone else???
  10. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Cross out iDoodle2Lite and Carrie's Dots, I have those apps and my iPod restarts fine...